Construction Equipment Rental in Downey, CA

About Construction Projects in Downey, CA

Many cities make contractors have certain papers to work on construction projects. This includes small or large projects and applies to both residential and commercial sites. Downey, California, is no different.

These papers include permits, inspections, licenses, and insurance. Some of these you’ll need before you break ground. Do your homework, and find out what permits you need and when.

Building Permits

Downey has certain rules for construction. You must follow these rules or face fines. These rules make sure that projects done in the city limits meet safety standards. They keep people and properties safe.

For single-family units, state-licensed contractors or homeowners can get permits. Only state-licensed contractors can get permits for industrial, commercial, or multi-unit dwellings. You need a permit to replace a roof, add a pool, and remodel a house.

Downey City Hall performs inspections Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. There is a $30 flat fee for permits and extra costs depending on the project’s value.

Building Inspections

Before you end a construction project, you need a building inspection. To schedule an inspection, call Downey City Hall. The city offers next-day inspections. Business inspections must have all furniture and fixtures in place. To have one done after business hours costs more.

You must give:

  • Building permit number
  • Site address
  • Type of inspection
  • Contact name and phone number

Contractor Licenses

Contractors must have a license to work in California. You need one if you’re doing more than $500 of work. This makes sure only trained people manage building projects. The City of Downey also makes contractors have a business license.

To get a license, you must pass two exams. These exams cover trade as well as law and business. The Contractors State License Board issues licenses. Some types of contractor licenses offered are:

  • General engineering
  • General building
  • Concrete
  • Electrical
  • Masonry
  • Plumbing
  • Solar

The application fee is $300. The license fee is $180. Licenses expire every two years. Renewals cost $360. Inactive ones expire every four years. Inactive renewals cost $180. You have fines for late renewals or payments made after July 1.

Contractor Liability Coverage

Along with licenses, you need liability coverage and bonds to work in Downey. If there are accidents, these policies cover you and the property.

The state requires you to have a contractor license bond of $15,000. If you have employees, you need workers’ compensation coverage. You also need this type of coverage if you’re a roofing contractor.

You must have your license number on your business cards. You also need to put the number on all bids and contracts.

Construction Equipment in Downey, California

You might need to use equipment you don’t own. To reach high spots, you can rent aerial equipment. This includes:

Contractors working in Downey shouldn’t start projects without having all their papers. These papers cover rules and safety issues needed for construction projects. Get these papers right away, so you can focus all your energy on the project.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location