Construction Equipment Rental in El Monte, CA

About Construction Projects in El Monte, CA

California is a great place to be if you are a general contractor. In 2014, there were 102,350 building permits issued for privately owned housing units. The Los Angeles, Long Beach, and Anaheim region in particular issued 32,114 building permits. You can be a part of this growth by working as a contractor in nearby El Monte. Keep these tips in mind when applying for building permits and contractor licensing.

Building Permits

The Building Division of El Monte issues all permits for the city. It also inspects and approves completed work. In addition to a standard building permit, it offers electrical, plumbing, and mechanical permits.

In general, all jobs that involve construction work need a building permit. If you’re not sure if your project needs a permit, contact the Building Division at 626-580-2050. They can tell you more about the process to help you get started.

To apply for a building permit, you need to create a building and construction plan. If your project is extensive, you might need an engineer or architect to help. All plans must include the following:

  • Elevation of the area
  • Fully dimensional plot plan
  • Floor plan
  • Structural section
  • Roof drainage plan
  • Slab plan
  • Foundation plan
  • Roof, floor framing, and ceiling plan
  • Energy calculations
  • Structural calculations

If you’re performing a residential addition, you’ll also need a site inspection. Building inspectors will come by to review things like the foundation and drywall. Inspections are done on Mondays through Thursdays between the hours of 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

The city will review these plans and contact you if any changes are needed. After that, you can apply for any other permits you need.

All permits expire 180 days after the city grants them, so make sure you finish your work by then. Keep in mind that El Monte only allows construction between 6:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. on the weekend.

Necessary Licenses

Becoming a contractor in El Monte isn’t too hard. The first step is to get a license for the state of California through the Contractors State License Board (CSLB). This costs $360 every two years for license renewal.

Finally, you will need a city business license. For this license, you must fill out an application and call the Business License staff at 626-580-2031.

Insurance and Liability Coverage

You will also need to have workers’ compensation insurance and general liability insurance. These insurances protect your workers and the property you’re working on in the case of an accident.

El Monte doesn’t have any minimum coverage limits, but the CSLB does require you to have at least a $15,000 surety bond.

Renting the Right Aerial Equipment

Now that you have your building permits and licenses, make sure you have the right equipment for the job. Renting aerial equipment like boom lifts, scissor lifts, forklifts, and manlifts can help the job go faster. You will be able to reach higher places with ease, reducing the chances of injury on the job. Sticking to the timeline and doing good work will make your clients happy.

With these regulations, rules, and best practices in mind, you are ready to start projects in the El Monte area.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location