Construction Equipment Rental in Hayward, CA

About Construction Projects in Hayward, CA

Before you start work on your construction project in Hayward, California, you need to find out about the red tape involved. Hayward has its own rules about permits, licenses, inspections, and insurance.

Below are the rules for all contractors working in Hayward. They apply to general contractors, electricians, plumbers, and HVAC contractors.

Building Permits

You need a permit for almost all construction projects in Hayward. This includes plumbing, electrical, structural, demolition, and mechanical work.

The following projects do not require a permit:

  • Fences less than seven feet tall
  • Play structures for back yards
  • Premade swimming pools that are no more than two feet deep and on grade
  • New kitchen countertops that match the existing footprint
  • Carpet, paint, flooring, and tile (except for tile work in showers)
  • Most retaining walls that are less than four feet tall
  • Window awnings that extend no more than 54 inches from the wall
  • Detached decks that are smaller than 200 square feet

Building Inspections

The city of Hayward requires building inspections. An inspector needs to check that the contractor has completed the project safely and to code. Inspection fees vary based on the cost of the project. The base rate is $29.77 to inspect a project that costs $500 or less.

Contractor Licenses

All contractors in California need a license. The licensing process helps ensure that work is done properly. Contractors need to follow all codesĀ for safety reasons. California has stricter building codes than other states due to earthquakes.

General contractors and home builders need licenses in Hayward, California. These are other kinds of projects that need a licensed contractor:

  • Asbestos removal
  • House moving
  • Plumbing
  • Well drilling
  • Swimming pools
  • Solar
  • HVAC
  • Cabinets and finish carpentry
  • Tile work
  • Concrete work
  • Sign work
  • Roofing
  • Framing
  • Glazing
  • Landscaping
  • Drywall
  • Paving
  • Masonry
  • Electrical
  • Metalwork
  • Paint and wallpaper
  • Fencing
  • Fire protection
  • Plaster
  • Locks and security systems

Contractor Liability Insurance

Contractors have to carry workers’ compensation insurance in Hayward, California. Contractors who have no employees are exempt. Contractors also need to have a $15,000 contractor bond or cash deposit on file with the Contractors State License Board before starting any projects.

Liability insurance is not required for contractors in the state or the City of Hayward. Contractors based outside of Hayward can work in the city by applying for a special business license. You have to do this before you can get a permit in Hayward. Contractors also need to pay taxes to the city of Hayward.

Construction Equipment Rental in Hayward, California

You’ll need to get the proper equipment to get your project done right. As a contractor, you can rent the following aerial equipment to help you on the job:

If you have a building project in Hayward, make sure you have the permits, insurance, licenses, and inspections you need. Local rules are complicated, and it’s best to leave these details to an expert. Extra fees and other issues can come up if these things aren’t done the right way.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location