Construction Equipment Rental in Inglewood, CA

About Construction Projects in Inglewood, CA

Sunny Inglewood, California, enjoys a laid-back reputation, but the state is less relaxed when it comes to construction. California has some strict rules in place. Below is a run-down of the requirements for building in Inglewood.

Building Permits

You need permits for any of the following structure work in Inglewood:

  • Altering
  • Construction
  • Conversion
  • Demolishing
  • Enlargement
  • Erection
  • Improvement
  • Repair

Submitting a Plan Review

Before issuing a building permit, the City of Inglewood requires a Precise Plan of Design. Most building projects will need plans reviewed. There are some exceptions, of course. Check with the city’s Building Division if you need to submit plans. If so, you will need to get this first before you can apply for a building permit.

Applying for a Permit

You need a permit for most types of building and alterations in Inglewood. This includes enlarging, fixing up, and remodeling existing buildings. Moving, changing, and wrecking buildings also need a permit.

Electrical, plumbing and HVAC contractors also need permits. If you’re a general contractor, you can apply for a combination building permit that allows you to include all subcontractors on one permit. Apply for permits at the Planning Division and the Building and Safety Division at the City Hall. Permit fees vary depending on the type of project.

Getting Your Contractor License

To do construction work in California, you need a state contractor license from the California Contractors State License Board (CSLB).

Only licensed contractors will receive a building permit. The CSLB expects contractors to pass an exam, be fingerprinted, bonded, and have an FBI background check doneContractors must fall under the correct class of work, such as a C36 for plumbing.

The fee for a new license is $330. You can pay by mail or at the CSLB’s head office in Sacramento. California takes licensing seriously. Doing work without a license can incur a fine of $15,000 or more.

Proving Liability Coverage

Before you can build in California, you will need the following bonds and insurance coverage.


The CSLB only issues and renews licenses when a contractor bond is in place. Make sure a surety company licensed through the California Department of Insurance writes your bond. The bonds you need are:

  • $15,000 contractor bond or cash deposit.
  • $12,500 qualifying individual bond or cash deposit.
  • $100,000 surety bond for Limited Liability Companies.

Liability Coverage

Limited Liability Companies need at least $1 million in liability insurance for five or fewer members. For every member over five, you need a further $100,000, up to a total of $5 million.

Workers’ Compensation

You will need to present your workers’ compensation certificate to the CSLB.  If you do not employ staff, submit an exemption certificate that confirms this.

Renting Building Equipment in Inglewood

To get building work done quickly, you need equipment like forklifts, scissor lifts, manlifts, and boom lifts. Renting equipment is easy and cheaper than owning machinery. A good rental company will regularly service their equipment to keep it in good condition. You’ll have peace of mind knowing that workers are using machines that are safe.

The building laws in Inglewood are quite rigorous. If you find it daunting, some agencies can help with licensing exams and applications. Insurance companies and law firms can guide you in getting the right insurance.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location