Construction Equipment Rental in Roseville, CA

About Construction Projects in Roseville, CA

With a population of 134,073, Roseville is a booming city. As of 2016, there was a yearly growth rate of 4.9 percent. Contractors can take advantage of this growth. But before you do, make sure you understand all of Roseville’s permitting and licensing rules.

Building Permits

Roseville follows the California Building Code. This requires that all construction, repairs, alterations, and improvements have a building permit.

To apply for a permit, contact the Development Services Building Inspection Division. All permits must be done in person. The City does not accept email, mail, or fax applications. The only exception is for pre-registered licensed contractors working on simple projects. These contractors can use the online application.

For a residential project, you’ll need to fill out a building permit application. This requires the following info:

  • Property location and owner information
  • Summary of the project
  • Contractor license information
  • Workers’ compensation information
  • Signature of the property owner
  • Asbestos compliance checklist
  • Wood burning appliances form

The city bases permit fees on how big the building is. For example, if a building has a square foot value of $100,000, the permit fee is $887.25. Refer to the Roseville fee structure for exact costs.

Usually, it takes three weeks for a building plan to be approved. Smaller projects might qualify for the simple tenant improvement process review, which takes less than 24 hours.

If you’re in a hurry, there is an expedited plan review available. You might even be allowed to use a third party to check your plan. For more information, just call the Development Services Division directly at 916-774-5332. You can also email them at [email protected] or send them a fax at 916-774-5394.

Contractor Licensing

While Roseville does not have city-specific contractor licensing, it does require contractors to have a California contractor license. This is managed by the Contractors State License Board (CSLB).

The CSLB requires that contractors have four years of experience as well as pass an exam. You must pay a $300 application fee as well as a $180 license fee. You must renew your license every two years by paying $360.

To work in Roseville, you’ll need a business license as well. This requires you to apply to the Business License Division. You must submit an application as well as a business tax fee of $100 per year.

Liability Coverage

Licensed contractors in Roseville need to have at least a $15,000 contractor bond. This is a requirement of the CSLB.

Contractors don’t need to have general liability insurance. However, it’s a good idea to look into this. It protects you and the property owner in case of damage.

Equipment You’ll Need

With the bright and sunny weather in Roseville, the ground can be hard to dig in. Heavy machinery like steamrollers and diggers can be a great help.

You’ll also want to rent aerial equipment, like forklifts, manlifts, scissor lifts, and boom lifts. This will help you move around materials and get the job done faster.

Now that you understand how to be a contractor in Roseville, you’ll have plenty of success. Just make sure you follow the rules when it comes to permitting and licensing.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location