Equipment Rental in Thousand Oaks, CA

About Construction Projects in Thousand Oaks, CA

With population growth of nearly 10 percent since 2000, Thousand Oaks is a city on the rise. As more people discover this pretty part of California, local builders will be busy. Whether you’re planning residential or commercial projects, here’s what you need to know.

Building Permits

You’ll need a permit from the City of Thousand Oaks Building Division before starting any building work. The division’s staff can help you with your application and accept your permit form and supporting documents, including:

  • Two sets of building plans. At least one should be signed by the architect or engineer of record.
  • Structural calculations.
  • Energy calculations.
  • Soils report.

The building division aims to process permits in three to four hours. You can only start building once your permit is approved.

Necessary Building Licenses

You’ll need a building license from California’s Contractors State License Board (CSLB) to work in Thousand Oaks. This group protects Californian residents by licensing and policing the state’s building sector. You’ll need a Class B (General Building) license.

You can complete your license application in three ways:

  • Complete the form on the CSLB website.
  • Print a PDF form, complete it, and mail it to the CSLB.
  • Ask the CSLB for a mailed form, complete it, then mail it back to the CSLB.

You must pass two exams to get your license: one in law and business and the other in trade.

Liability Coverage

You should take out insurance to cover your work and workers. You can’t work as a builder in California without general liability insurance. This cover protects you from most claims you’ll face, including jobsite accidents and day-to-day business activities.

Some tools are covered by general liability insurance. However, these policies usually won’t cover tools costing more than $500. Equipment insurance can cover pricier items like nail guns and welders.

Builders risk insurance gives physical damage protection while the building is under construction. If the project or your tools face damage due to theft, fire, and storms, for example, this cover can help you out. Lenders require this coverage.

If you have employees, workers’ compensation is a must. It will cover the medical bills of any workers injured on your jobsite.

Best Equipment to Use

Building in Thousand Oaks is challenging due to its unique conditions. The soil varies from very soft to rocky sandstone, so inspect your site carefully. While developed parts of Thousand Oaks are often flat, undeveloped land often has steep slopes.

Thousand Oaks gets between 14 and 20 inches of rain each year. After the rain, you might need a boom lift with a four-wheel drive train and a raised working platform. Rough terrain manlifts and scissor lifts typically work better in Thousand Oaks than standard models. Forklifts don’t mind Thousand Oaks’ sandstone soils, but they’ll struggle on soft ground. If the soil is particularly rocky, you may need to tear it up with a ripper.

A successful Thousand Oaks building project calls for careful planning. Make sure you have your permits, license, insurance, and hire equipment in place before you begin.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location