Construction Equipment Rental in West Covina, CA

About Construction Projects in West Covina, CA

West Covina has seen steady growth over the last decade. It now has a population of 108,455. The city is also close to Los Angeles, which makes West Covina a great place to build. Are you thinking about building in West Covina? If so, you need to know their rules and laws. Read on to learn more about what the city requires for builders.

Building Permits

You will need a building permit for any major build. You will also need permits for minor jobs. Even if you do contract work for home remodeling, you likely need a permit. You must have a permit for simple tasks like remodeling windows, sliding doors, patios, roofing, pool fences, and solar panels. You even need a permit for any project that requires a new floor plan.

The cost for building permits depends on the square footage of the project. It also changes based on the worth of labor and parts. For plumbing, electrical, or mechanical permits, the city calculates the fee per item. You can get a fee schedule at the Public Works counter at City Hall. This building is at 1444 West Garvey Avenue South, Room 215.


The State of California requires contractors to have licenses before they can build. You’ll face large fines for working on a build without a license. You could even serve up to six months of jail time. You may also pay a $500 fine and an added fee between $200 and $15,000 that goes to the city.

Before you apply for your contractor’s license, you will need to have a $15,000 bond in place. Then, you must complete an application to take the Contractor’s License Exam and send in the $300 processing fee. After the state reviews the application, you will get a date for your exam. Note that you do have to take a different exam for each trade that you apply for.

The City of West Covina also requires you to have a business license. You can apply and make your payment online at the city’s website. You must get this license within 15 days of starting work in the city.

Rental Equipment

You need heavy machinery for many commercial and residential construction jobs. You can rent boom lifts, scissor lifts, manlifts, and forklifts. This equipment will make the job easier for your build team. Remember that workers who use these machines must have their own special licenses.

Insurance Coverage

You should have insurance in case of an accident. Builders can buy general liability insurance. It will cover you in case any damage occurs during a build. You should also have worker’s compensation insurance to take care of any of your workers who may get hurt on the job. Your general liability insurance will take care of any non-workers who get injured at one of your job sites.

West Covina is a suburb of Los Angeles with a growing healthcare and retail sector. It gives contractors plenty of options for new commercial building projects. Also, the population has higher than average income. That’s why residential remodeling projects like re-roofing, windows, and swimming pools can provide good options for contractors looking to expand to the city.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location