Construction Equipment Rental in Denver, CO

About Construction Projects in Denver, CO

Find out what permits you need before you start building in Denver. Also, make sure you have the right contractor’s license before you bid on a building project.¬†

Getting Permits for Building in Denver

Before you start building in Denver, you have to get the right permits for your job from Development Services. The city will review your building plans before giving you the permit. You can apply for a permit in person, by email, or by fax.

Projects in Denver that you need permits for:

  • New commercial buildings
  • Adding something to a commercial building
  • Changing the occupancy of a commercial building
  • Residential construction
  • General permit for roofing, fascia, soffit, siding, and blown-in insulation
  • Electrical
  • Installing a fire alarm system for a commercial building
  • Plumbing and gas piping
  • A commercial sign
  • Steam or hot-water boilers
  • HVAC
  • Sprinkler systems
  • Tearing down buildings

In Denver, you need a general permit for your residential or commercial job. You also need specific permits for details on that job. A general construction permit doesn’t cover the details.

Building Codes

Make sure you follow Denver building codes when you build. These are the codes Denver follows:

  • National Electrical Code (NEC)
  • Denver Building and Fire Code (DBC)
  • National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Code 72

Denver also follows the International Code Council’s codes. Sometimes the City amends the codes, so you should always check for an amendment.

Getting Certificates and Licenses

You can’t pick up a permit in Denver unless you have a license or a certificate. Homeowners can pass an exam if they want to do the work themselves. However, hiring a licensed contractor in Denver is much simpler.

As a contractor, you need a certificate before you can get a license. You either have to apply for a¬†supervisor certificate or employ someone who has a supervisor certificate. After that, you apply for a contractor’s license in a particular area.

Denver has three classes of contractor:

  • General Contractor Class A. This kind of contractor builds, tears down, or adds to any building or structure. To get this license, you need seven years of experience as a field engineer or general supervisor. You also need a bachelor’s degree in structural engineering or architecture
  • Building Contractor Class B. With this kind of contractor’s license, you can build, tear down, or add to a building that isn’t a high-rise. You need four years of experience as a field engineer or general supervisor. You also can substitute a bachelor’s degree in structural engineering or architecture for two years of practical work
  • Residential Contractor Class C. For this kind of license, you can work on one- and two-family dwellings. You can also work on U-occupancy buildings. You need two years of experience covering foundation, framing, and roofing.

Once you have your license and your permits, it’s time to rent equipment. BigRentz has all the manlifts, forklifts, scissor lifts, and boom lifts you need to do your construction job. Rent instead of buying so you don’t have to worry about maintenance or storage. We’ve got it covered.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location