Construction Equipment Rental in Overland Park, KS

About Construction Projects in Overland Park, KS

Experienced contractors know that building and demolishing homes require skill, expertise, and the right paperwork. When you work as a contractor in Overland Park, Kansas, you need all the right permits and insurance coverage in place before you begin work. Before starting on your first project in Overland Park, have the right paperwork and equipment in place.

Building Permits

Like most cities, Overland Park won’t allow contractors to begin building or making changes to structures before getting the right permits. If you think that only major construction projects require permits, think again. You need a building permit for a wide range of projects. These include:

  • Constructing or demolishing a structure
  • Building an addition onto an existing structure
  • Creating a sign support system
  • Building a deck or fence
  • Adding a swimming pool
  • Installing or replacing electrical wiring or HVAC equipment

Some smaller projects don’t need a permit. You can skip this step if you’re only installing cabinets, carpeting, or light fixtures.

Building Inspections

Building inspections help to keep everyone safe during the construction process and beyond. Whether you’re building a residential or commercial structure, you’ll need to get a series of building inspections. These make sure your structural, electrical, mechanical, or plumbing work meets city code.

Also, you’ll need a building inspection to get a final certificate of occupancy. This is important because it closes your building permit. Use the city’s website or call Overland Park’s building inspector to schedule an appointment at 913-895-6220, Option 2.

Contractor Licenses

You can’t legally work as a contractor in Overland Park if you don’t have the right license. The following types of contractors need a current Johnson County contractor’s license:

  • General
  • Electrical
  • Mechanical
  • Plumbing
  • Roofing
  • Swimming Pool
  • Framing

Keep in mind that you need to keep your license current. Be sure to leave time for the required continuing education classes you’ll need every year.

Contractor Coverage

Accidents can happen at any time, even if you have a great crew. That’s why all contractors working in Overland Park or anywhere else in Johnson County must have insurance coverage. This covers the cost of injury or property damage in case of an accident.

All contractors, no matter their specialty, must have a minimum of $1 million in general liability insurance. You’ll also need at least $1 million in completed operations provisions. Remember that you’ll need proof of both before applying for your contractor license.

Construction Equipment Rental in Overland Park, Kansas

Before you bid on a project, make sure you know what kind of equipment you need to do the job. You’ll need a forklift for moving pallets of supplies and parts around your job site. Man lifts, boom lifts, and scissor lifts give your crew extra height on the job. Price out rentals, so you can get the equipment you need without blowing your budget.

No matter how much experience you have, never start a construction project without checking these things off your list first. From equipment to paperwork, keep this list as a handy reference for planning your next project.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location