Construction Equipment Rental in Detroit, MI

About Construction Projects in Detroit, MI

Contractors working in most cities need certain papers to build construction projects. Detroit, Michigan, has its set of rules.

Whether you’re a general contractor, plumber, or electrician, you need to pay fees and have the right paperwork. Find out what documents you need before you start your project.

Building Permits

The City of Detroit has guidelines for construction jobs. These rules make sure the project done within city limits is safe for the property and people using it.

The Plan Review Division gives building permits. It also works with other city departments to make sure the plans meet codes and standards.

Search through the list of permits to find the ones you need. Building permit fees depend upon the project cost. The fees start at $150 and can reach almost $30,000. You need additional permits for electrical, mechanical, and plumbing jobs. It may take three business days for the city to check the plans.

Building Inspections

Before you end a construction project, you need an inspection. The standard fee for a residential inspection is $150. You can contact the Building team weekdays from 8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.

For new construction, inspectors issue a certificate of occupancy if your project passes.

Contractor Licenses

Michigan wants to make sure only trained contractors deal with construction projects. If you work in Detroit, you must have a license if your project costs more than $600. To get your Michigan Residential Builders or Maintenance and Alteration Contractors License, you must:

  • Finish a 60-hour pre-license course for builders
  • Mail the application, certificates of completion, and $195 fee to the State of Michigan
  • Register for the state exam

After you finish the exam, you will find out right away if you passed. You must renew your license every three years.

You can also get trade licenses to work in the City of Detroit. You must have a license in these specialties to work in Detroit. To get the license, you must sit for exams that cover codes or standards. Contact the Buildings Division for an exam appointment. These licenses are:

  • Awning erector
  • Sign Erector
  • Steeplejack
  • Welder
  • Window washer
  • Wrecking

Contractor Liability Coverage

The City of Detroit also wants contractors to have insurance, although it’s not required. But if you have three or more workers, you need workers’ compensation insurance. You should have liability coverage or bonds to cover you and the property in case of accidents. Depending on the type of project you’re working on, your insurance costs could be high. Shop around, and find the best price.

Construction Equipment Rental in Detroit, Michigan

Contractors might need to rent equipment for certain jobs. To reach high points, you need to rent aerial equipment. These pieces include:

Don’t start a construction project in Detroit without the right permits, insurance, licenses, and inspections. Most of these papers you need before you start the job, so make sure you have them as soon as you’re hired. That way you can give your energy and time to the project and not worry about missing or forgotten paperwork.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location