Construction Equipment Rental in Lansing, MI

About Construction Projects in Lansing, MI

As the capital of Michigan, Lansing plays a big role in Michigan’s economy. Builders are a large part of that. Builders who understand regulations put themselves in a great position to secure new projects.

Building Permits

Michigan requires a building permit before you start construction of any new building or structure. The state also requires a permit when the occupancy or use of a structure or part of the structure changes. Before construction starts, someone must apply for a building permit. Those who can apply are:

  • The architect
  • The engineer
  • The owner
  • The contractor
  • An agent

Ordinary repairs don’t require a permit. However, there are limits to what is considered common repairs. For example, you can’t do repair work that includes cutting away any wall or part of a wall. You also can’t remove or cut any structural beam or component that bears support. Ordinary repair work doesn’t include removing or changing any required way of entering or exiting. Likewise, rearranging any part of a structure that affects the exit requirements isn’t considered ordinary. In these cases, repairs would require a permit.

You might want to add on, alter, replace, or relocate some building components. Work on the following requires a permit:

  • Drainage
  • Drain leader
  • Electric wiring
  • Gas soil
  • Sewer
  • Standpipe
  • Vent or similar piping
  • Waste
  • Water supply

Building Licenses

Sometimes, the person applying for a building permit first needs a building license. Typically, if you construct a residential structure in the state, you must get licensed as Residential Builder. You do this with the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs. This is also true if the work is a combination residential and commercial structure.

In Lansing, contractors must register with the Building Safety Office. This includes mechanical, plumbing, and electrical contractors. You’ll find the building safety department at 316 N Capitol Avenue, Suite C-1, Lansing, MI 48933. The department is open Monday through Friday from 8 am to 4:30 pm. You can also reach it by phone at 517-483-4355.

Liability Coverage

It is not mandatory for you to have Commercial Liability Insurance if you run a business. Michigan is a modified comparative negligence no-fault state. However, if you operate a high-risk business, such as a construction business, you should have coverage.

Builders who employ three or more people in their business must carry workers compensation insurance. If you’re a sole proprietor with no employees, you are not required to have workers compensation. All drivers in Michigan also must carry minimum automobile insurance. However, if you use a car or truck in your business, you should also consider purchasing a commercial vehicle policy.

Construction Equipment Rental in Lansing

Homeowners or building owners in Lansing should not tackle building projects themselves. When you, as a general contractor, are hired to take on a project, you need to make sure you have the proper equipment. Instead of buying what you don’t have, consider renting. From BigRentz, you can rent aerial equipment like boom lifts, scissor lifts, forklifts, and manlifts to get the job done right.

Knowing local building laws and regulations will make your project in Lansing successful.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location