Construction Equipment Rental in Duluth, MN

About Construction Projects in Duluth, MN

Duluth forms a metropolitan area with neighboring Superior, Wisconsin, called the Twin Ports. The cities share the Duluth-Superior harbor and together are the Great Lakes’ largest port. This makes the city a great place to build. Below you’ll find a guide to building in Duluth.

Building Permits

Building permits are an important part of any construction project. They protect everyone involved from construction to completion.

To obtain a building permit in Duluth, you’ll have to submit the following items:

  • Building permit application
  • Building permit fees
  • Plans if required
  • Permits for electrical, plumbing, heating and air conditioning improvements and alterations
  • A plot plan detailing the property and proposed construction to which the permit applies
  • Any special permits

It is important to note that permits to install electrical or plumbing improvements are issued to those who are doing the work on the premises. This means that if this work is contracted out, then the contractor is the one responsible for these items.

Building Inspections

In addition to obtaining a building permit, you need to have your building inspected. This is an important step in the building process because it ensures the safety of the building. If you fail a building inspection, you may have to pay additional fees to be reinspected.

Contractor Liability Insurance

To have a contractor or construction business in Minnesota, you need Contractor Liability insurance. This insurance protects you and your workers from accidents. It must also meet the following criteria:

  • At least $100,000 for each occurrence
  • At least $300,000 total for bodily injury
  • $25,000 for property damage
  • Must have worker’s compensation
  • Insurance company must have a license to sell in Minnesota

Contractor License

In Minnesota, certain contractors need a license to work. One of the most common licenses is the Residential Building Contractor license. This license is for any individual that contracts with homeowners. You also need this license if you are the homeowner and are improving the home or if you have a special skill such as:

  • Excavation
  • Concrete
  • Carpentry
  • Finishing
  • Drywall and Plaster
  • Roofing

Not everyone who is building needs a license, for example, the following do not:

  • Subcontractors
  • Employees of a Licensed Contractor
  • Material Suppliers

In most cases, you will need a license to work in the State; it is better to make sure you have all the proper paperwork before you begin building.

Construction Equipment Rental in Duluth, Minnesota

Sometimes contractors need aerial equipment to finish the job. This type of equipment includes boom lifts, scissor lifts, forklifts, and manlifts. BigRentz has it all and can help with all your rental needs and help you on your way to a successful build.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location