Construction Equipment Rental in Rochester, MN

About Construction Projects in Rochester, MN

Before you start any construction project in Rochester, Minnesota, you need to know what papers to get. You must have certain permits, inspections, licenses, and insurance. You also need to know when to get these documents. Keep reading to find out when and where to pick up these important papers.

Building Permits

The City of Rochester makes contractors get building permits for construction projects. You need a building permit for work on one- or two-building structures.

You also need a separate permit for each type of trade work. This includes electrical, mechanical, and plumbing work.

To get a permit, you must turn in an application to the permit office, located at 2122 Campus Drive SE, Suite 300. With the application, you also need:

  • Two sets of building plans and specifications
  • A complete set of plans with lot size, building size, and more

Fees depend on the total value of the construction project. Once you get the permit, you can begin work.

Building Inspections

Before you end your project, you need an inspection. The Inspection Division, which is part of the Building Safety Department, gives permits. You can call the department during business hours to ask for one. The inspectors work in the northwest and southwest areas in the morning. They take on the northeast and southeast in the afternoon.

If you need an inspection done outside of business hours, you must pay an extra $45 per hour. Reinspections also cost an extra $45 per hour. Once you pass the last inspection, you get a Certificate of Occupancy.

Contractor Licenses

The City of Rochester wants only trained contractors to work on construction projects. That’s why you need a license to work in the city. However, special skill contractors do not need a state license. These skills include:

  • Carpentry
  • Drywall and plaster
  • Exterior and interior finishing
  • Excavation
  • Masonry
  • Roofing

To get a license, you must sit for a residential contractor/remodeler licensing exam. The exam has 110 questions, and you must score 70 percent or higher. Fees range from $520 to $720.

Minnesota’s Department of Labor issues licenses. You must renew your license every two years and take 14 hours of continuing education courses. Renewal fees depend on your gross annual pay and range from $525 to $725.

Contractor Liability Coverage

Insurance coverage protects you and the property if there is an accident. You must have general liability coverage or bonds.

Minnesota also makes all contractors carry workers’ compensation coverage or be self-insured if you have employees. If you don’t have coverage, you face a penalty of $1,000 per week per employee.

Construction Equipment Rental in Rochester, Minnesota

Every contractor needs the right equipment to get the job done. Sometimes you need to rent the gear if you don’t already own it. Some types of aerial equipment you can rent include:

Every city has a list of rules and standards you must follow when working on construction projects. These rules make sure the property stays safe. Keep in mind that you must get certain permits, inspections, licenses, and insurance together before you start your project. Forgetting one of these papers can cost you in fines.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location