Construction Equipment Rental in Gulfport, MS

About Construction Projects in Gulfport, MS

Gulfport is the second largest city in Mississippi which makes it a great place for your next construction project. Before you build, however, there are a few things you should know about obtaining the proper licenses, insurance, and permits.

Building Permits

To build in Gulfport, Mississippi, you will need to obtain a building permit. Building permits make sure only qualified people are working on the project. This keeps operations safe and the project running smoothly.

To get a building permit, you will need to fill out the building permit application and pay the corresponding fee. The cost of the building permit depends on the valuation of the project and varies from $54 to $420.

Building Inspection

In addition to getting the proper permits, you will have to have your building inspected before completion. The inspections ensure all projects meet codes and rules. Different projects may require multiple inspections and a failed inspection may result in an additional fee for a reinspection.

Contractor Licenses

The state also wants to make sure only trained contractors work on projects which are why commercial and residential contractors must have a license. You do not, however, need a license for residential electrical, plumbing, or HVAC work that costs less than $10,000.

Fees depend on the type of license. A commercial license is $400 and $400 for renewal, and a residential license is $50 and $100 for renewal. You can renew your license up to 180 days after it expires but if you let more than 180 days pass, you need a new application.

Residential holders can work on commercial projects, but only if the project is less than 7,500 feet. To get the license, you must fill out an application. The State Board of Contractors emails out testing information. You must pass an open-book exam and the Mississippi Law and Business Management exam. If you have a trade, you must take a trade exam. Once you pass, you will get your license in 7 to 10 days

Contractor Liability Insurance

As with licenses, contractors must carry general liability insurance. Contractor Liability Insurance is used to protect you and your workers in case of an accident. Local insurance agencies have special policies for builders and can tell you which plan you need. These plans will have aerial coverage and worker’s compensation. Residential license holders have no minimum policy requirement, but commercial holders must have a minimum coverage of $300,000.

Construction Equipment Rental

Sometimes contractors need to rent equipment to finish the job. Some equipment you may need includes boom lifts, scissor lifts, forklifts, and manlifts. BigRentz can help with all your rental needs and help you on your way to a successful build.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location