Construction Equipment Rental in Independence, MO

About Construction Projects in Independence, MO

Before your business begins any construction, addition, remodel, or demolition in Independence, Missouri, make sure you have the proper permits, licenses, and insurance. You may be tempted to avoid the hassle and expense, but that would be a serious mistake. Read on to learn about what a company needs to build in Independence.

Building Permits

You need a permit for the following work:

  • Sheds over 120 square feet.
  • All electrical, plumbing, heating, or cooling.
  • Replacing windows or doors with larger ones.
  • Swimming pools over 24 inches deep and larger than 5,000 gallons.
  • All decks and ramps.
  • Finishing a basement.
  • Tree houses over 120 square feet.
  • Re-roofing a building.
  • Towers for wind power or radio.
  • Enclosing a porch.
  • Fences over 6 feet high.

You do not need a permit for:

  • Sheds under 120 square feet, although they must be at least 10 feet from any other structure.
  • Replacing windows or doors with ones that are the same size.
  • Installing siding.
  • Tree houses under 120 square feet.
  • Fences under 6 feet.

Apply for a permit with the City of Independence. You can apply for some types of permits online. You will need to supply the following information: permit type, applicant information, and project information. The fee for the permit depends on the work to be done. After you’ve submitted your application, you’ll be contacted by the Building Inspections Division. They will then review your situation.

Getting a License

Missouri does not license general contractors on a state level. Boiler, air conditioning, and highway excavation contractors do need special certification from the state. Each trade has a particular reviewer you can contact through

To build in Independence, contact the Jackson County Planning and Development Department in Independence at 303 West Walnut or All mechanical, electrical, and plumbing work requires a Class A or B license in that trade. If you only have a Class C, you’ll need to be supervised by someone holding a Class A or B license.

Liability Coverage

Contractors should not do any work without proof of general liability insurance. A liability insurance policy will reimburse your workers in case of injury. It will cover damage to your equipment. It will also protect you if the work you do fails in some way, causing injury or damage to property after you are finished. If you have employees, you’ll need workers’ compensation insurance too.

You are required to have workers’ compensation insurance if you have any employees. You should have between $500,000 and $1 million in commercial liability insurance.

Best Equipment for Rent

Many off-the-ground jobs are dangerous without the right equipment. Aerial lifts, like boom lifts, scissor lifts, forklifts, and manlifts, are designed to raise workers and equipment up to the work area with safety and stability. Consider payload, personnel, terrain, height, and footprint when choosing the right lift to rent.

Independence has its rainiest and most dramatic weather between June and September. Watch out for lightning, slippery conditions, and flash floods.

It’s important that contractors have the right permits, licenses, and insurance before starting work in Independence. By following the rules, you will have no headaches down the line.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location