Construction Equipment Rental in Kansas City, MO

About Construction Projects in Kansas City, MO

Informing yourself of the paperwork and relevant laws before working on a construction job is vital regardless of location. The rules you need to follow in construction vary by place, though. Find out here what you need before starting any building project in Kansas City, Missouri.

Building Permits

You need a permit for most building work in Kansas City. Assume that you must get a permit for your job unless it involves:

  • Fencing
  • One-story detached accessory buildings
  • Platforms and decks less than 30 inches above grade
  • Painting, papering or installing floor coverings
  • Reroofing

You can dial the City Planning and Development Department to confirm if your building work needs a permit. The number is 816-513-1500. The fee you pay for a permit depends on the value of the work planned. Fees also differ between residential and commercial buildings.

Building Inspections

You need to get any completed building work inspected in Kansas City. The Inspection Division checks that completed work satisfies the city’s building codes. You can contact inspectors by phone, fax, or email to arrange an inspection. Expect a response from the inspection team within 24 hours.

Contractor Licenses

You need a license to carry out any building work in Kansas City. There are several categories of licenses for contractors, and the one that applies to you depends on the nature of your project. Contractors must apply a qualified supervisor to oversee any construction work.

You need to pay a fee of $55 to apply for a license. If you get license approval, you then need to pay $167 for the issuance of the license. Only apply for a license if building work is your career. Otherwise, hire a licensed contractor for your project.

Contractor’s Insurance

Most categories of contractor licenses come with insurance needs. The basic insurance need is liability coverage valued at $1 million per occurrence. You need to add Kansas City as an insured party on your policy. You must submit a valid insurance certificate before getting a contractor license.

You might also need to post a cash deposit to the city’s Finance Department. Failure to pay relevant city bills results in the deduction of the expenses from your cash deposit. The standard cash deposit is $500 for contractors. Note also that you might need to post a larger cash deposit if you work in certain areas of construction.

Construction Equipment Rental in Kansas City, Missouri

Renting the equipment you need for your projects is a good idea. Renting construction equipment has benefits such as:

  • No depreciation costs
  • Lower maintenance costs
  • You can avoid the initial outlay to buy the equipment
  • You have access to only the tools you need to do the job

An aerial building project might call for boom lifts, scissor lifts, forklifts, and manlifts. If you lack these tools, you can simply rent them.

There is a lot of hassle and laws to abide by for building work in Kansas City. Avoid any stress by hiring an expert contracting company.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location