Construction Equipment Rental in Edison, NJ

About Construction Projects in Edison, NJ

The City of Edison, New Jersey, wants contractors to follow the rules when working on projects. Whether these are large or small jobs, contractors must have permits, inspections, licenses, and insurance. You need these papers if you’re a contractor, HVAC tech, plumber, or another type of construction worker. If you’re hiring a contractor, make sure they have all the right licenses.

Building Permits

The City of Edison has rules for construction. These rules make sure all work done in city limits is safe.

Most types of construction projects need at least one permit. For larger projects, you need a permit to build a deck, finish a basement, or add to a house. Smaller permitted projects include replacing siding, installing a furnace, and replacing windows. You don’t need one to paint or to replace gutters.

To get a permit, go to the Construction Department in the Municipal Building. Bring the application and construction plans. For additions, bring a plot plan. You need to bring three copies of each. Once you have the permit, post it at your job site and keep a copy of your plans nearby.

Building Inspections

Before you end your construction project, you must have a building inspection. You also need inspections on:

  • Electrical
  • Plumbing
  • Fire

New construction inspection hours are weekdays from 8:00 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. Inspectors need at least 24 hours notice. If the work doesn’t match the plans given to the office, you must have another inspection. Violators of the plan can pay fines up to $500 and have their work stopped. Once you get approval for your work, you must apply for a certificate of occupancy.

Contractor Licenses

The City of Edison wants to make sure contractors working in the city have training. That’s why it makes them get licenses. Some home repair contractors don’t need a license. That includes those who take credit card payments or deal with cash installment payments for less than 90 days. All contractors do need to register with the state, though.

The home improvement contractor registration fee is $300. You must renew the license every two years and pay $90. If you let your license expire, you have to pay an extra $50 to have it reactivated.

Contractor Liability Coverage

Just like licenses, the City of Edison wants contractors to have liability coverage. This insurance covers the contractor and property in case of accidents. The state asks all contractors to have $500,000 in liability insurance. They must also carry workers’ compensation insurance to work in New Jersey.

Construction Equipment Rental in Edison, New Jersey

You need the right gear to get the job done, no matter what type it is. To reach those high points, rent aerial tools, such as:

If you want to build in Edison, make sure you have all your papers before you start your construction project. Take note of which permits, insurance, licenses, and inspections you need. You can also hire contractors to take care of this for you. Either way, take care of these papers right away so you can focus on your project.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location