Construction Equipment Rental in Elizabeth, NJ

About Construction Projects in Elizabeth, NJ

If you’re a contractor in Elizabeth, New Jersey, it’s important to make sure you’re following the city’s rules before beginning a project. Elizabeth often requires contractors to get permits and licenses before they can work on a job. To make sure you don’t get in trouble, keep the following information in mind.

When in doubt, always call the city directly to ask what your next step should be.

Knowing if You Need a Permit

According to New Jersey state law, you’ll need a permit when you’re:

  • Enlarging a structure
  • Constructing a structure
  • Changing the occupancy of a structure
  • Working with anything involving lead abatement

However, you won’t need a permit for many smaller projects. New Jersey state law refers to these as ordinary repairs, and they might include:

  • Interior and exterior painting
  • Installing interior finishes that are less than 25 percent of the wall area
  • Installing a door or window
  • Replacing nonstructural cabinets
  • Replacing hose bib valves
  • Clearing plumbing stoppages

Keep in mind that it will be your responsibility to obtain this permit. You’ll need to get a signed affidavit from the owner of the property to ensure that the work is authorized by them.

Submitting a Permit

Before you can submit any paperwork, you’ll need to have an architect or engineer create plans for any larger construction projects. You’ll also need to fill out a form which requires:

  • Your contractor license number
  • A summary of the job
  • The description of work you will be doing
  • The type of work you will be doing
  • A description of the building you’ll be working on
  • The estimated cost of the work

You’ll have to include the state permit surcharge fee of $50, along with any other fees specific to your project.

Getting Licensed

To work in Elizabeth, you’ll need to be licensed as a contractor by the state of New Jersey. Depending on your line of work, you can get certification as a home repair contractor or home improvement contractor.

A home repair contractor is required to have public liability insurance as well as workmen’s compensation. They’ll need to pay a $300 registration fee every two years. Typically, these contractors work on projects related to fixing or correcting problems in homes.

A home improvement contractor works on projects like garages, sidewalks, windows, doors, kitchens, bathrooms, and more. They differ from home repair contractors in that they improve the appearance and functionality of a home through remodeling, painting, restoring, or demolishing. They’ll have to pay $90 registration fees every year to keep their licenses.

You might also want to consider lead abatement or asbestos abatement licensing to get clearance for special projects in the area.

By getting your permit and making sure you’re properly licensed as a contractor, you’ll have no problem working in Elizabeth. However, permits aren’t the only thing you need for success on the job. To enhance your project and make things run more smoothly, remember to rent the proper aerial equipment, such as boom lifts, scissor lifts, forklifts, and manlifts.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location