Construction Equipment Rental in Paterson, NJ

About Construction Projects in Paterson, NJ

In Paterson, New Jersey, contractors need to follow all rules around building and construction. One of the rules is for local landmarks, as laws exist to protect them. Contractors also need permits before starting a construction project. When you apply for a permit, you will probably need to schedule an inspection.

Building Permits

All permits come from the Division of Planning and Zoning. The City of Paterson has its department for permits. Their address is 125 Ellison St., on the fourth floor.

For homes in the city, turn in applications to the Division of Community Improvements. Paterson also has special rules for historic buildings. The rules also apply to buildings in historic districts. Contractors need permits to do work on these buildings. The exceptions are removing graffiti or replacing broken glass. Those ordinary repair tasks do not need a permit. If you are not sure if your work on historical buildings needs a permit or not, call the Division of Historic Preservation at 973-321-1220 ext. 2263.

The City of Paterson requires a permit for most construction work. This includes:

  • Work that affects the outside appearance of the building
  • Change of existing materials
  • Demolition
  • New construction
  • Fencing
  • Signs
  • Awnings
  • Outdoor lighting

Building Inspections

Most buildings need inspections before they are complete. For new house inspections, call the Division of Community Improvements. Inspectors are in the office from 8:30 a.m.-10 a.m. and 3:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. When they do an inspection, they make sure that the building meets code. This helps protect the people living in the house. Inspectors also look at main systems. These systems include HVAC, electrical, plumbing, and fire protection. Contractors need to make sure these systems are easy to see. If they are behind walls, the inspector will have you tear down the wall to get to them.

Contractor Licenses

Contractors need licenses to work in Paterson. Those working on houses need home repair or home improvement licenses. Others who need licenses are:

  • Electricians
  • Plumbers
  • Lead removal specialists
  • Asbestos removal specialists
  • Well drillers

You need to turn in an application for a home repair or building contractor license. A home repair license is for someone who sells items related to home repairs. A home builder license is for a new construction contractor. You will turn the application into the state of New Jersey. The application fee is between $200 and $300. You also need to show financial records and a list of who the main people are within your company.

Contractor Liability Coverage

All contractors in Paterson must hold certain amounts of insurance on the company. The bodily injury and property damage minimum is $1,000,000 per occurrence, $3,000,000 aggregate. Contractors must also have workers’ compensation insurance.

Construction Equipment Rental

The soil of Paterson can have steep inclines with fine, sandy loam and basalt underneath. This can make it tricky to build sometimes. Make sure your rental equipment is up to the task. Rent your forklifts, boom lifts, manlifts, and scissor lifts from BigRentz to make sure you are covered every time.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location