Construction Equipment Rental in Asheville, NC

About Construction Projects in Asheville, NC

Located in Buncombe County, Asheville is the largest city in Western North Carolina. If you plan on building in Asheville, there are various rules and regulations you’ll have to follow. Find out which licenses, insurance, and permits you’ll need to make your project successful (and legal).

Building Permit

The first step for a project in Asheville is to apply for a permit. You’re going to need a permit for most types of projects, and the process depends on what your project is. There are a few different types of permits depending on the complexity of the project. There are many different permits available in Asheville.

For example, Stand Alone and Multi-Trade Permits are for minor residential installations. Quick Touch Permits do not require extensive review and only require review from Building Safety staff. For Small Project Permits, you need to submit a plan.

If you want a Standard or Large Project Permit, then you need your project reviewed by multiple disciplines.  These types of permits take longer to review because of the special detail requirements.

After you apply for your permit, Building Plan Review will look over all applications for new construction.

In addition to applying and obtaining the correct permits, it is important to have your project inspected before completion. The Code Enforcement Officials can make as many inspections as needed to ensure the work is being done according to the applicable State Codes, Local Ordinances, and the approved plans.

Contractor Liability Coverage

Contractors Liability coverage is another important part of having a contractor business in Asheville, North Carolina. This insurance protects you and your workers in case of an accident. You should ask your insurance provider about special plans specifically for builders. They will be able to provide Worker’s Compensation insurance which is required in the State of North Carolina if you employ three or more employees.

Contractor License

You need a state contractor license to work on a construction project valued at $30,000 or above. The State Licensing Board will apply to a license examination request at least 30 days before holding a scheduled or special board meeting.

The general contractor license covers all building construction activity. This includes commercial, industrial, institutional, and residential. Based on the value of the project, you’ll receive one of three types of licenses. Only South Carolina and Tennessee licenses are reciprocal. The two-hour, open-book test costs $70, and you must score 70 percent or higher to pass.

Construction Equipment Rental in Asheville, North Carolina

In many cases, contractors will not have all the equipment needed to complete the job. If that is the case, renting can be a much cheaper option. Some commonly rented equipment include boom lifts, scissor lifts, forklifts, and manlifts. BigRentz can help you with all your equipment rental needs and get you on your way to a successful build.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location