Construction Equipment Rental in Akron, OH

About Construction Projects in Akron, OH

What you need to know

Companies who want to build in Akron, Ohio, need to know the zoning and permit requirements. Contractors taking building jobs and homeowners hiring contractors should know which permits the job has to have. In addition, contractors need the right licensing to do the work. Homeowners should always hire licensed, skilled professionals to do building work in Akron.

Building Permits

When building in Akron, you need a permit for most projects. If your project hits the mark for a few kinds of permits, you need to create applications for each permit. The types of permits the City of Akron offers are:

  • Building permit
  • Fire protection permit
  • Electrical permit
  • Plumbing permit
  • Mechanical permit
  • Medical gas permit
  • Tent permit

Projects that require a permit include:

  • Paving, excavating or filling a building site.
  • Knocking down part of a building or a whole building.
  • Putting in swimming pools and fences around them. You don’t need a permit if your pool is shallower than two feet and smaller than 250 square feet.
  • When you work on something that’s in the public right-of-way. That could mean building something new or adding to a building that’s already there. It also means changing or repairing a structure.
  • Putting in or taking out storage tanks.

To send in your permit application, you need several documents. These include:

  • A zoning certificate
  • A septic or sewer permit
  • The Model Energy Code Trade-Off Worksheet
  • Your building’s Permanent Parcel Tax Identification Number
  • Two sets of your plans
  • Four sets of your site improvement or topography plans

Your HVAC, plumbing and electrical work will all need their own permits.

Licensing and Registration

Summit County has contractors who do specific kinds of work register with their office. They must register every year. As a contractor, you need to make sure you have an up-to-date registration. This isn’t a substitute for other licensing or registration that contractors and professionals need through the city, county, or state.

Contractors who work in Summit County need to have a license from the State of Ohio. You need a license to do the following kinds of work:

  • Plumbing
  • HVAC
  • Electrical
  • Fire suppression
  • Mechanical
  • Refrigeration
  • Fire and smoke alarms
  • Hydronics

Homeowners shouldn’t do this kind of work on their own. Hiring a licensed professional is always the way to go. That way, you know the work gets done well.

Insurance and Liability Coverage

When being hired out as a contractor, you always need insurance and liability coverage. An insurance policy will protect your business during the entirety of the project. General liability protects your business’s assets, and it also covers your workers. You also need to look into general contractors’ insurance, workers’ comp, and builders’ risk insurance. Each adds a distinct level of coverage you might want.

In Ohio, when contractors renew their licenses, they have to show proof of insurance. This proves that, as a licensed contractor, you are complying with the state’s insurance requirement.

Your Equipment Needs

Depending on your project, you’ll need access to all sorts of gear, including boom lifts, forklifts, manlifts, and scissor lifts. Renting this equipment is most likely your best bet to make sure you get exactly what you need for the job.

Contractors need the right Akron permits to do construction work. With permits, licensing, and liability coverage, you’re ready to start your newest construction job.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location