Construction Equipment Rental in Dayton, OH

About Construction Projects in Dayton, OH

Thinking of building or becoming a contractor in Dayton, Ohio? Learn what projects you need permits on before you start bidding. Also get your license and the right insurance before you open your business’s doors.

Getting Building Permits

When do you need a building permit in Dayton?

  • To build a new building
  • To modify an existing building
  • To put an addition on a building
  • To install new electrical, plumbing, or HVAC work
  • To change the electrical, plumbing, or HVAC system in a building
  • For a new fire alarm and fire suppression system
  • To change an existing fire alarm and fire suppression system
  • To change the use of a building
  • To change the number of dwellings in a building
  • If you’re building a nuisance structure
  • To get an inspection after a building has been damaged by fire, or something else
  • To tear something down
  • To put up a garage or a storage facility
  • To use temporary buildings, like tents and trailers
  • To put up or change things like cell towers

When you work on a building, you need to know if Dayton will see it as a commercial or a residential building. Residential buildings are dwellings that hold one, two, or three families. Residential also includes accessory buildings, like detached garages. Commercial buildings are multi-family structures with four or more living spaces, like apartment buildings. They are also any building used for business, like retail.

Choose one of five main permit application types:

  • Building/zoning. For a new building, zoning a project, or a fire alarm or suppression system
  • Mechanical. For electrical, gas, plumbing, heating, sewer, or water
  • Sign Permit. To put a sign up on the property
  • Tent Permit. To put up a tent on the property
  • Wrecking Permit. When you need to demolish something

If you’re doing minor work, like house painting, then you don’t need a permit.

Getting A Contractor’s License in Dayton

Contractors do need licenses to work in Montgomery County, where Dayton is. However, if you’re a general contractor or a residential contractor, you don’t need a license. The contractors who need licenses are:

  • Commercial
  • HVAC
  • Electrical
  • Plumbing
  • Refrigeration
  • Hydronics

You need five years of experience if you want to take the exam. If you do HVAC or gas piping, you need to register with Montgomery County. Do this before you try to apply for a permit.

After you have your license, you need $500,000 of liability insurance. Ohio has you do continuing education, too. For most contractors, it’s 10 hours per year.

When you’re ready to start, your last step is to rent your equipment. Get the right size scissor lifts, boom lifts, manlifts, and forklifts for each job you start. Rent from BigRentz, so you don’t have to worry about maintenance or storage. We rent machines for the length of time you need them. Then, return them when you’re done and move to the next stage of your project. Start your construction project in Dayton, Ohio, today with the right credentials and rentals.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location