Construction Equipment Rental in Columbia, SC

About Construction Projects in Columbia, SC

Before starting a construction project in Columbia, South Carolina, you need to follow the rules for the city and states. These rules include getting licenses and permits. You also need insurance for anyone working for you.

Whether you’re a general contractor, building manager, or an HVAC tech, find out what you’ll need to do for your construction project.

Licenses and Building Permits

Contractors need permits for big upgrades on houses. Permits come from the City of Columbia. These permits are for electrical, mechanical, gas, plumbing, and curb-cutting work. The contractor must also share names of anyone working on the site. If you add a fence or wall around the yard, you must turn in a fence or wall form. Adding a swimming pool requires a separate form. Large renovations on all one- or two-family houses need permits.

New home construction needs a zoning permit. The City of Columbia has zoning rules to protect structures and keep areas strong and growing. These rules also show how the area might change over time. Commercial structures also need zoning permits. City leaders will look at the site plan and approve or reject the permit request.

After you get your zoning permit, you’ll have to turn in more applications. These applications are for workers who will install different systems. These systems can include plumbing, electrical, gas, and mechanical.

Building Inspections

When you get your permits, schedule inspections at the job site. Scheduling hours are between 7:30 and 9 a.m. or 4:30 and 5 p.m. You also need inspections for other parts of the building before you finish a job. These inspections include heating ducts and vents, insulation, chimneys, foundations, plumbing, framing, roofing, fire stops, and electrical work. Make sure all systems are easy to see for the inspection.

The city also requires a final inspection. Inspectors will look at the gas, HVAC, sewer, electrical, plumbing, landscaping, and parking layout. After approval, the inspector will issue a Certificate of Occupancy.

Contractor Licenses

The City of Columbia demands a general or mechanical contractor’s license for any commercial construction job greater than $5,000. If you work on a house, you need a license for work on the building structure, HVAC or electrical systems, or plumbing. Smaller jobs don’t need licenses. These types of small jobs include roofing, siding, flooring, brick, stones, and concrete.

Contractor Liability Coverage

The City of Columbia requires contractors to have insurance coverage. This insurance protects workers and your property. You must have at least $100,000 in coverage and give proof of insurance. Contractors may have to show proof of coverage amounts for some permits.

Construction Equipment Rental in Columbia, South Carolina

Your company may need equipment to complete the work properly. Some important aerial equipment could include boom lifts, scissor lifts, forklifts, and manlifts. These aerial lifts can help your workers complete building construction tasks.

With the right licenses and equipment, your company can handle all types of construction work in Columbia, South Carolina.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location