Construction Equipment Rental in Tulsa, OK

About Construction Projects in Tulsa, OK

Tulsa is located on the northeastern side of Oklahoma and is the second largest city in the state. The name comes from the Lochapoka word Tulasi, which means “old town.” If you’re planning a construction job in this exciting city, here’s what you need to know about permits, inspections, and more.

Building Permits

Before you get permits from the city, you have the opportunity to meet with the Development Services Department. These pre-construction meetings include review staff and inspectors. You can schedule a pre-construction meeting by contacting the Inspection Services Manager.

Once you’re ready to apply for a permit, get an application and turn forms into the Development Services Department. You can find PDFs of the building permit applications on the website. These PDFs are fillable, so you can type right into them using Adobe Reader or Acrobat. You can also just print them and then fill them out.

Building Inspections

To schedule an inspection, call the Voice Response System. Use this line to schedule or cancel an inspection or to find out the inspection results. You need to call by 7 a.m. to be able to get a same-day inspection.

When you call, you’ll need your permit number and the four-digit inspection code. You can find a list of codes in the Inspection Request Line brochure. There’s a link to the brochure on the Inspection Services page of the City of Tulsa website.

Contractor Licenses

In Oklahoma, general contractors do not need a license. The Oklahoma Construction Industries Board has named four trades that need licenses:

  • Plumbing
  • Electrical
  • Mechanical
  • Roofing

However, you should note that according to Tulsa’s website, “only a Licensed tradesperson may apply for trade permits.” For the above four trades, you need experience working with a contractor. You can substitute two years of experience with an associate degree for the given trade that includes 1,000 classroom hours. You then need to pass an exam for your trade.

Contractor Liability Coverage

After you pass your trade exam, the next step is to prove that you are insured and bonded. For plumbing, electrical, and mechanical, that means having commercial general liability insurance for at least $50,000. For a roofing contractor, you have to have liability insurance that covers $500,000.

In addition to this liability insurance, you also need to have workers’ compensation insurance.

Construction Equipment Rental in Tulsa, Oklahoma

As you file for any permits or licenses that you need, you also might want to consider whether you need any large construction equipment for your job. Make a list of the ideal equipment and compare it to a list of equipment you have available. If there are any gaps, consider renting.

For example, if you realize you need scissor lifts or manlifts, you could rent these and have them delivered to your job site on the first day of work. Or maybe it’s forklifts and boom lifts that you need. Whatever it is, renting is the best way to get the equipment you need without having pay out of pocket to buy the equipment.

Take the time to plan, and you’ll be ready to start once the first day of the job arrives.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location