Construction Equipment Rental in Clarksville, TN

About Construction Projects in Clarksville, TN

Working as a contractor in Clarksville, Tennessee, is a great way to expand your customer base. However, to avoid getting in trouble with the law, it’s important to follow all rules and regulations when it comes to permits and licensing.

When You Need a Building Permit

When you want to alter, construct, repair, enlarge, move, demolish, or renovate a building, you’ll need to get a permit. The type of permit you need depends on the project you’re working on. The city offers various permits, such as:

  • General building permit, with a $50 fee for demolishing a structure and a sliding fee system of $15 to $1660
  • Plumbing permits, with fees ranging from $10 to $15
  • Electrical permits, with a $10 permit fee and added services from $32 to $90 each
  • Outside utility work permits, with a $10 permit fee and added services from $5 to $20 each

To decide what permit you will need for a certain job, contact the Clarksville-Montgomery County Regional Planning Commission and ask for their advice.

How to Get a Building Permit

To get a building permit, your first step is to have a design professional look over your plans. This person will check your plans to make sure they’ll work for space. Next, the city will process and review your application. They’ll also review your licensing requirements to make sure you’re up-to-date. If any inspections are necessary, the city will complete them to make sure the area is safe. Finally, if everything checks out, the city will approve your project, and you can begin construction.

Contractor Licensing Requirements

Before you get too carried away with submitting permit applications, it’s important to make sure your contractor licensing requirements are current and complete.

Clarksville requires contractors to get certification from the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance for projects that cost more than $25,000. This means you’ll have to take several steps to get your license, including:

  • Pass an exam on Tennessee business and law
  • Prepare a financial statement with the help of a CPA
  • Collect references from past clients
  • Register as an LLC with the Tennessee Secretary of State
  • Provide proof of General Liability Insurance
  • Fill out the application and pay a $250 fee

Once you do all this, your information will go to the Board. The Board meets several times a year to approve new contractors.

Contractor Insurance Requirements

There’s a specific amount of insurance coverage you’ll need to work on different types of projects.

  • For a project up to $500,000, you’ll need at least $100,000 of coverage
  • For a project up to $1,500,000, you’ll need at least $500,000 of coverage
  • For a project over $1,500,001, you’ll need at least $1,000,000 of coverage

If you have employees, you’ll also need Workers’ Compensation insurance.

Once you have all of these permits and licenses complete, don’t forget to rent the equipment you need. Aerial equipment like boom lifts, scissor lifts, forklifts, and manlifts may come in handy for whatever project you’re working on.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location