Stay Connected With Your Rental
  • Place Orders and Monitor Rental Status
  • Terminate and Extend Rentals
  • Receive Notifications
  • Report Issues and View Invoices
Learn More iPhone CRV

Not finding your city? Chances are we service your area so contact us for a personalized quote.

About Construction Projects in Tennessee

Browse our Tennessee heavy equipment rental locations by city. BigRentz offers a wide variety of heavy equipment for rent, including earth moving machines, aerial equipment, lift trucks, compaction equipment, and job site services.

What You Need To Know

When taking construction jobs in Tennessee, learn about permits and licenses before you start. Find out what kind of jobs need licenses, and start applying for permits for the work you’ll be doing. Get an understanding of the Tennessee terrain where you’ll be working, too. That way, you can rent the right kind of manlifts and excavators for every part of your job. Keep your workers and your site safe with quality equipment rentals.

Tennessee State Licensing for Construction Sites

When working as a contractor in Tennessee, you must comply with licensing requirements before you start any big jobs. A contractor bidding on or starting a job worth more than $25,000 has to have a state license. So, if you’ve just picked up business in Tennessee and want to bid on construction jobs, get licensed first.

Keep in mind that all kinds of contractors in Tennessee need licenses for jobs over $25,000. If you’re a general contractor, you will probably outsource some parts of your work. Check that the professionals you work with also have licenses. These are the contractors who need licenses:

  • Building
  • Mechanical
  • Electrical
  • HVAC
  • Environmental
  • Plumbing
  • Roofing
  • Masonry
  • Highway

Other specialty contracting might need a license, too. Check with the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance to see the full list.

For projects less than $25,000, you need a license if you’re working as an electrician, plumber, HVAC contractor, or home improvement contractor.

Permits for Residential and Commercial Building

You need permits for your job before you can start a construction project or a significant renovation. When performing residential construction work on one- or two-family dwellings, you have to comply with the State Residential Building Code Enforcement Program. The program outlines fire safety requirements and when you need a building permit. Remember that you might need specific permits for each aspect of your job, like electrical.

Soil and Your Equipment in Tennessee

In eastern Tennessee, you may have to deal with mountainous terrain. While you probably won’t have to build on the side of a mountain, you might deal with rockier soil and steeper gradients during excavation. Choose construction equipment with four-wheel-drive. Find out how much of a gradient the equipment can rest on. External legs that come down and steady machines like telescoping boom lifts are essential.

The middle of Tennessee is full of rich soil and has a few hills. Four-wheel drive again is a must, because your tires need to gain traction in the soil of your job site. Western Tennessee has similar soil but offers flatter planes overall. Beware the rain in Tennessee, which falls on average 3 inches even in the dry months. When dealing with rain, you always want to rent your excavation and construction equipment, so you don’t have to store it through inclement weather.

You need the right tools before you can start your construction job. Whether you’re working residentially or commercially, check the permits you need and get licensed. Then study the terrain and rent the right equipment for each stage of the project. Choose BigRentz for a huge variety of boom lifts, manlifts, scissor lifts, and forklifts.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location