About Construction Projects in Jackson, TN
Jackson Tennessee is the seventh-largest city in Tennessee and is a regional center of trade for West Tennessee. This means that many people are coming in and out of the city throughout the year. It would be a good idea to take advantage of all this traffic and locate your next project in Jackson. Because of all this possibility, Jackson has a few guidelines for building within the city limits. Learn the ins and outs of construction in Jackson before you break ground. You should over prepare rather than under prepare.
Residential and commercial building permits are required, depending on what type of construction. The residential building permit fees are based on the square footage of the proposed structure. Additionally, commercial building permit fees are strictly based on the valuation of the project and increase as the valuation increases. There are also fees for electrical and plumbing permits.
In addition to obtaining all of the right permits, you need to get your building inspected. Inspections are an important part of the building process. They allow the city to ensure that quality, safe work is being done.
The State of Tennessee has many rules around who can do contracting work in the state. If you want to work on projects valued at $25,000 or more, you have to have a contractor’s license. There are a few things you need to get your license such as:
- Must pass the Trade exam, and the Tennessee Business and Law exam
- A Financial Statement
- Reference form completed by a past client, employer, or codes official
- If you are an LLC or Corporation, you must register with the Tennessee Secretary of State
- Provide proof of General Liability Insurance and Workers’ Compensation Insurance
- Complete and attach your exam scores, financial statement, reference, proof of insurance, and send it to the Board office with your fee of $250.
- The Board will review your application and will either deny your application or issue you your license
Tennessee mainly wants to know that trusted people are working in the state.
General Liability Insurance
One of the requirements for getting your contractor’s license is general liability insurance. This kind of insurance protects you and your employees in the case that your company causes any damages. You do not want to be personally liable for something that happened accidentally.
Construction Equipment in Jackson, Tennessee
Contractors in Jackson often need extra equipment to complete their projects. In many cases, this extra equipment is aerial or earthmoving. Common examples of these types of equipment are boom lifts, scissor lifts, manlifts, forklifts, excavators, dozers, loaders, and backhoes. Whatever your project is, BigRentz can get you the right equipment.