About Construction Projects in Sandy, UT
Home to the Major League Soccer Team, Real Salt Lake, Sandy is in Salt Lake County in the State of Utah. Also known as Sandy City, Sandy is a great place for you to start your next construction project. Like other cities, however, there are many rules and regulations you will have to follow to complete your project.
For most construction projects in Sandy, you will need a permit. This includes any construction, enlarging, altering, repairing, moving, demolishing, or changing of occupancy of a building or structure.
Certain projects are exempt from a building permit including:
- One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area is not greater than 200 square feet.
- Fences lower than 7 feet high
- Retaining walls under 4 feet
- Sidewalks and Driveways
- Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work
- Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24 inches deep are not greater than 5,000 gallons and are entirely above ground
If you are unsure, visit the cities website for more information.
Building Inspections are an important part of the building process. This step ensures the safety of the building for the residents or occupants after construction is complete.
A successful inspection means that your project does:
- Meet standards to ensure your safety
- Ensure that the building was built to the structural specifications as shown on the approved building plans
- Provide proof of insurance agencies that all work was done with a permit and to at least the minimum safety requirements.
Inspections are usually performed during business hours Monday – Friday. You should call at least 24 hours in advance to ensure an inspection on the next day.
Contractor Liability Insurance
Contractor Liability Coverage is an important part of building in the State. This type of insurance protects you and your employees in case of an accident.
Contractors in Utah must have general liability coverage of at least $100,000 per incident and $300,000 aggregate. They must also carry workers compensation insurance if they have one or more employee.
Anyone intending to engage in construction work in Utah must obtain a state issued contractor license. To get a license, you must pass a few tests and meet the requirements.
You need to pass a Business Law exam, and for most licenses, you need to pass a trade specific exam. You also need two years of legally valid experience under a licensed contractor.
Construction Equipment Rental in Sandy, Utah
Many projects in Sandy will require aerial equipment. Some examples of aerial equipment include:
This is some of the most common equipment needed for construction projects, and many builds will need them.
It is much cheaper to rent rather than buy these types of products, and BigRentz can help with all of your construction equipment rental needs.