About Construction Projects in Hampton, VA
Starting a construction job in Hampton, Virginia, isn’t as easy as buying the right tools and getting to work. In any city, permits, inspections, insurance, and licenses are vital for your project. Find out below exactly what you need to build in Hampton.
Virginia doesn’t require you to have a permit for many building jobs in Hampton. For instance, you don’t need a permit if you’re:
- Putting up wallpaper
- Replacing floor coverings
- Replacing kitchen cabinets
- Re-roofing residential properties
Assume that any other jobs need a permit. Always check with the local authority to see whether you do or don’t need a permit for certain projects.
You can book a building inspection 24 hours per day on the Online Permit and Inspections Center. You need inspectors to check that the work done aligns with your building permit. Another reason for inspections is to make sure everything complies with Virginia’s building codes.
You can visit the online inspection system from any mobile device or computer. Accessing the system lets you check the status of your inspection.
There are three classes of contractor licenses in Virginia. As a contractor in Hampton, you need some license to work on any building project in the state. The following license types apply to contractors:
- Class A contractors need at least five years of experience. Holders of a Class A license can work on projects of any money amount.
- Class B contractors have a project limit of $120,000 and a total 12-month limit of less than $750,000.
- Class C contractors can only work on single projects worth less than $10,000. Total project values over a 12-month period cannot exceed $150,000.
Getting any class of contractor license in Virginia is tough. To get hired as a contractor, though, it’s essential to have the required license for the job.
Insurance for Contractors
The only insurance you need by law as a contractor in Hampton is workers’ compensation. This type of insurance protects your employees in the event of an accident on a building site.
There is no law stating that you need liability insurance in Hampton. Despite the lack of laws to hold liability insurance, it’s wise to buy it. Contractors often must show proof of liability insurance before they get a permit. For good protection, buy a policy with at least a $1 million payout.
Construction Equipment Rental in Hampton, Virginia
There are many benefits to renting construction gear. A few of these include:
- You can choose gear for specific jobs
- You don’t need to pay a high purchase price
- You don’t need to store equipment you’re not using
Rent aerial equipment such as boom lifts, manlifts, scissor lifts, and forklifts to best address your job’s needs.
If you’re working on a building project in Hampton, make sure you have all your paperwork in order. You’ll save yourself a lot of time and show off your skills and credentials as an expert contractor.