Stay Connected With Your Rental
  • Place Orders and Monitor Rental Status
  • Terminate and Extend Rentals
  • Receive Notifications
  • Report Issues and View Invoices
Learn More iPhone CRV

Not finding your city? Chances are we service your area so contact us for a personalized quote.

About Construction Projects in Virginia

Browse our Virginia heavy equipment rental locations by city. BigRentz offers a wide variety of heavy equipment for rent, including earth moving machines, aerial equipment, lift trucks, compaction equipment, and job site services.

What You Need to Know

Are you ready to take on a construction job in Virginia? Get your business the contracting license it needs before you start, and learn about the building codes you’ll be following. Then, rent the right equipment for the job. Knowing what you need to build in the state of Virginia can help make sure your company is a success.

Licensing for Contractors

In Virginia, your business needs a Contractors License. If you’re a sole-proprietorship, the license still belongs to your company, not you. For your business to get a license, you have to take three steps:

  • Finish the Contractor Basic Business Course. It takes eight hours
  • Pass all four parts of the Contractors Exam
  • Go to the Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation to get your license application

Your business’s license will indicate what kind of work you can perform and how big your jobs can be. Virginia has three license classes for your job size:

  • Class A: In Class A, a single job is $120,000 or more. The total value of the jobs you take in a year is $750,000 or more
  • Class B: For Class B, single projects are between $10,000 and $120,000. For a whole year, all your projects add up to $150,000 or more. They’re under $750,000 in total
  • Class C: With Class C, projects fall between $1,000 and $10,000. In a year, you don’t do more than $150,000 of work

Building Codes

Know Virginia’s building codes before you start your job. The state has continuing education about building codes for contractors. If your situation is unique, apply for a code change.

Building codes cover areas like:

  • Manufactured Housing
  • Virginia Statewide Fire Prevention
  • Whole-House Mechanical Ventilation

When you’re building something new or adding to an existing structure, always follow the building codes. The Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code tells you exactly what you need. It has three parts, plus an extra bit about fire prevention. The Virginia Rehabilitation Code and the Virginia Maintenance Code are for existing buildings. Check them if you’ll be doing rehab or maintenance as a contractor.

Renting the Right Equipment

When you start your job in Virginia, think about the job site. Are you directly on Virginia soil? A lot of the state has rich soil good for agriculture, so you’ll need a diesel engine and a four-wheel-drive machine. In other spots, the soil has a lot of minerals and erodes easily. Beware of rain if you’re working in this kind of soil.

Working in urban areas means you need the right kind of boom lifts and manlifts. Your boom lifts and excavators should have a very little tail swing. Otherwise, you might run into problems moving through the streets around your site.

Rent from BigRentz for your Virginia construction job. We take care of maintenance and storage, so you don’t have to. Plus, we have a wide array of forklifts, manlifts, boom lifts, and scissor lifts. With height varieties and narrow machine options, you can fit our equipment into almost any job.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location