Construction Equipment Rental in Richmond, VA

About Construction Projects in Richmond, VA

Each city has a list of rules that contractors must follow when working on construction projects. One such city that does this is Richmond, Virginia.

When you work in Richmond, you need permits, insurance, inspections, and licenses. It’s important to know when you need them during your project. Keep reading to find out when and where to get these documents.

Building Permits

To work on construction projects in Richmond, you need to adhere to certain codes and regulations. These rules make sure the property and people stay safe after construction ends.

You must get a building permit when you make any change to use of the property. This is a Virginia law. Projects include constructing, enlarging, altering, or demolishing structures. You also need a permit for adding the following:

  • Decks
  • Fences higher than six feet
  • Garages
  • Swimming Pools
  • Walls

The Zoning Department approves permits. You must list your plans for construction on the permit. A permit isn’t needed for HVAC work, electrical wiring, or roofing installations. If your project is in the City Old and Historic District, you need approval from the Commission of Architecture.

It usually takes one to three days for permit approval. Fees depend on the project type and size. Permits are valid for six months after you get it. After every inspection, the permit time gets extended another six months.

Building Inspections

After you get approval for your building permit, you must get periodic inspections. This makes sure you follow the plans you provided. You also need a final inspection before your project officially ends. Once you get approval on your final inspection, you get a Certificate of Occupancy. People cannot live in the structure until you get this.

You can ask for inspections through the 24-hour automated scheduling system.

Contractor Licenses

To work in the City of Richmond as a contractor, you need a valid license. This is to make sure only trained professionals work on construction projects. You must renew your licenses every two years.

The Virginia Board of Contractors issues licenses. You need trade licenses for electrical, HVAC, plumbing, and abatement work. General contractor licenses have two parts:

  • Class of license: A, B, or C. The project’s value determines the class.
  • Specialty: The type of work performed.

The Class A license exam fee is $60 and $230 for the license. The Class B license exam fee is $40 and $205 for the license. The Class C certificate is $150.

Richmond also makes contractors get an annual business license if they do more than $25,000 of work annually. Payment is due by March 1.

Contractor Liability Coverage

Contractors must also have insurance coverage to protect them and the property if there’s an accident. You need liability coverage or bonds. If you have employees, you must carry workers’ compensation coverage.

Construction Equipment Rental in Richmond, Virginia

Whenever you work on construction jobs, you need the right gear. Sometimes you must rent equipment to reach high spots. You can rent aerial equipment, such as:

Never start a construction project in Richmond without the right papers. This includes permits, inspections, insurance, and licenses. Not having these documents can cause delays in your project.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location