Construction Equipment Rental in Roanoke, VA

About Construction Projects in Roanoke, VA

Roanoke is a medium sized city situated in the Roanoke Valley in Southwest Virginia. Roanoke has a lot of space for new construction projects, but you have to know what kind of rules you are dealing with. The city and the state have their own sets of rules for building. You must get licenses, permits, and inspections to work on a construction project here.

Building Permits

Before you start your project in Roanoke, you have to get a building permit from the city. This is done through the Permit Center on the city’s website. You must submit your application online, along with plan sets that are larger than 11” x 17”.  Building permits are used by the city to make sure you do the work you say you are going to. You cannot start work until you have your permit or if you are approved by the Building Commissioner.

Building Inspections

In Roanoke, the Building Safety Division takes care of inspections for permits. The person who holds the permit is responsible for making sure the project gets all of its inspections.

Each permit needs at least one inspection, and the permit will expire if the work is not started within six months of the issuance of the permit. There is also a re-inspection fee if the city has to come back for an extra inspection.

Contractor License

For Contractor businesses in Virginia, you need a license. Here are the steps to getting a contractor’s license in Virginia:

  • Take and finish the eight-hour Contractor Basic Business Course
  • Pass all four parts of the Contractor’s exam
  • Go to the Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation for your application

It is also good to know that there are different types of licenses. Your license class determines what kind of work you can do and how big your work can be. Virginia has three classes:

  • A Class: For Class A, you can do single jobs worth more than $120,000 and more than $750,000 in a year.
  • B Class: For Class B, you can do single jobs between $10,000 and $120,000 and between $150,000 and $750,000 in a year.
  • C Class: For Class C, you can do single jobs between $1,000 and $10,000 and less than $150,000 in a year.

Think about what kind and how much work you want to do and choose a license.

Contractor Liability

Running a contracting business comes with many costs and risks. Contractor Liability Insurance will cut down on risks. This coverage will help cover the costs of damage caused by your company to third parties. It is always a good idea to prepare your business with insurance.

Construction Equipment

Roanoke is a good place to build, and there are many opportunities for projects. However, you shouldn’t do anything before you prepare thoroughly. Make sure you have the right equipment and all of your permits and licenses. Let BigRentz help with all your construction equipment rental needs.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location