Construction Equipment Rental in Sacramento, CA

About Construction Projects in Sacramento, CA

If you want to be a contractor, Sacramento is a great place to start. The city recently earned the Building Department of the Year Award from the California Building Officials. Before you begin, you have to learn about the best ways to get your permits and licenses. Once you do, you can take on any project.

Building Permits

Building, remodeling, and repair projects need a permit in Sacramento. You can apply for minor permits online through the Citizen Portal. This includes things like water heaters, rewire work, HVAC system, and re-roofing.

However, for bigger projects like bathroom and kitchen remodels, you need to apply in person. These projects also need a plan review. When applying, must have:

  • Two copies of a site plan that show the existing property and the proposed project
  • Floor plans
  • Exterior elevations
  • Structural plans
  • Structural engineering calculations
  • Energy compliance documentation
  • Truss calculations
  • Products being used
  • Automatic fire extinguishing system plans

New residential projects need five sets of plans. Commercial projects need nine sets of plans. Use the help of an architect or engineer. They can make sure everything is up to code.

After gathering this, bring your application to the Public Counter of the Building Division at 300 Richard Blvd. The counter is open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. to answer your questions. To skip the line, sign up for services as early as 8 a.m. at the third-floor lobby.

Usually, permit fees are $76 for residential projects. Permit fees are $152 for commercial projects. However, call the Building Division at 916-264-5011 with any questions.

Required Licenses

According to city code, the City does not issue contractor licenses. Instead, it relies on the state of California to do this. In California, individuals, corporations, and partnerships can become a contractor. You must apply to the Contractors State License Board to get certified.

Sacramento also does not issue business licenses. All you have to do is pay a business operation tax. This fee varies depending on the number of workers you have. The number of years you have been in business and the place where you operate also play a role. Check with the Finance Administration at 916-808-5755 for more details.

Insurance Needs

Because Sacramento follows CSLB standards, contractors do not need liability insurance. However, it is always a good idea. It protects you financially in the case of property damage or injury.

You do need workers’ compensation and a contractor’s bond. For workers’ compensation, CSLB must be the certificate holder. All contractors’ bonds must be at least $15,000. They also need to be written by a California-certified surety company.

Equipment to Use

The soil in Sacramento ranges from silty loam to clay with high swelling potential. You need to plan right for the soil. Make sure you rent the best boom lifts, scissor lifts, forklifts, and manlifts from BigRentz to do your best work.

Now that you know more about Sacramento’s permitting and licensing laws, you’re ready to get started. With this information, you’ll be able to thrive as a contractor in the area.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location