Construction Equipment Rental in Salinas, CA

About Construction Projects in Salinas, CA

The City of Salinas requires all contractors to know the building laws, codes and processes before starting any building or remodeling work. Here’s a quick summary of what you need to know.

Plans and Permits

The first step is to check if you need to submit your plan for approval before applying for a permit.

Submitting a Plan

Before submitting a plan, first, check if the area is zoned for the type of building you plan to do. The following plans need approval:

  • Plot plans
  • Architectural plans like roof plans, floor plans, and exterior elevations
  • Structural plans like foundations, cross-sections, floor framing, roof framing, and wall framing plans

Getting a Building Permit

You need a permit for new buildings or when making changes to or adding on to existing structures. This includes:

  • Building houses, storage sheds, carports, and garages
  • Swimming pools
  • Plumbing and electrical work
  • Fixing damage, including damage from termites
  • Installing or replacing HVAC systems
  • Moving or destroying buildings
  • Alterations that changes what the structure is used for
  • Installing or replacing water heaters
  • Re-roofing

The Permit Services Division on 65 West Alisal St. issues permits. Bring the following along when you are ready to apply:

  • Proof of workers’ compensation coverage
  • Your pocket contractor’s license card
  • A copy of your city business license

Licenses Required

To work as a contractor in Salinas, you will need two licenses.

State Contractor License

Only contractors licensed by the State can build in California. The Contractors State License Board grants licenses. To get a state license you have to:

  • Be over 18 with at least four years journey-level experience over the past 10 years
  • Pass two exams: a business and law exam and a trade exam
  • Be fingerprinted and have an FBI background check done
  • Prove you have a bond and workers compensation insurance

Business License

In addition to your state license, you also need a business license from the City of Salina. Make sure you get your state license first. You will need the state license number when applying for your business license.

Insurance Requirements

Contractors in Salinas must have the following insurance:


  • $15,000 contractor bond or cash deposit
  • $12,500 qualifying individual bond or cash deposit
  • $100,000 surety bond for Limited Liability Companies

Liability Coverage

Limited Liability Companies need at least $1 million in liability insurance.

Workers’ Compensation

To get your business license, you must have workers’ compensation that names the City of Salinas as the certificate holder.

General Information

Be Aware of Title 24

All building that takes place in California has to comply with the energy conservation requirements set out in Title 24. If you’re unsure of what’s required, grab a copy of the Title 24 code book. Find the code section in the book that applies to your type of work.

Renting Building Equipment

Once you’ve got the paperwork sorted, it’s time to start building. For this, you’ll need the right equipment. Equipment rental companies make it easy to find what you need to get the job done. You can rent machineries like forklifts, manlifts, boom lifts, scissor lifts, and more.

Like most cities across America, Salinas wants to make sure all buildings in the city are safe. A professional contractor understands that building codes and regulations are not there to make life difficult. They help builders complete their projects correctly and safely.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location