Construction Equipment Rental in New Haven, CT

About Construction Projects in New Haven, CT

New Haven is the second-largest city in Connecticut and the home of Yale University. It’s had lots of growth in the past five years, with almost $3 billion in new projects. This historic city also has lots of new residential neighborhoods, apartments, and multi-use developments in planning or under construction. To take advantage of all this growth, your business will need all the licenses, insurance, permits, and inspections for New Haven, as well as the equipment to get big jobs done.


Here are some of the most common licenses you’ll need in Connecticut:

  • Elevator work
  • Fire protection
  • HVAC
  • Mobile homes
  • Driveways
  • Pools and spas
  • Porches and patios
  • Garages
  • Roofs
  • Siding
  • Insulation
  • Flooring
  • Landscaping
  • Fences
  • Doors and windows
  • Plumbing and pipefitting
  • Well drillers

To get most of these licenses, you’ll need one to three years of apprenticeship or experience, and you’ll have to take an exam. Most licenses expire every year, and some require continuing education. New Haven doesn’t have any extra requirements.


Well drillers in Connecticut need $300,000 of liability insurance and $100,000 of property damage insurance. All contractors must have workers’ compensation insurance.


If you need a license, you’ll probably need a permit too. Here are some exceptions that don’t require permits:

  • Fences less than 6 feet high
  • Playground equipment
  • Above-ground pools less than 24 inches deep that hold less than 5,000 gallons
  • Painting, tiling, carpeting, and other finishing work
  • Minor repairs, like replacing fuses, fixing leaks in pipes, or clearing clogged drains
  • TV, movie, or theater sets
  • Water tanks less than 5,000 gallons
  • Awnings that don’t project more than 54 inches from a wall and don’t need extra support

You must apply for most permits in person at the City of New Haven Building Department. The building, sign, and demolition permits are available Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 12:30 pm. You can get mechanical, plumbing, electrical, and sprinkler permits Monday through Friday from 8:30 to 10:30 am or Monday through Thursday from 3 to 4:30 pm. You can apply online for permits for roofing, siding, windows, low voltage electrical work, water heaters, gas lines, furnaces, and boilers. For more information, call the main office at 203-946-8045.


Here are the some of the most common inspections:

  • Soil or footing before pouring concrete
  • Foundation
  • Sheathing before roofing and siding
  • Rough plumbing, HVAC, and electrical
  • Framing
  • Insulation before Sheetrock
  • Above ceiling inspection
  • Final plumbing, HVAC, and electrical
  • Final building inspection./li>

You should call 48 hours in advance for all inspections and send estimates of costs for all subcontractors. The New Haven Building Department enforces state inspection laws.


If you don’t have the right equipment for your project, your company could experience extra expenses, delays, and other problems. Forklifts are great for moving heavy building materials, and scissor lifts, manlifts, or boom lifts can help workers reach tall windows, walls, ceilings, or roofs. Rent this equipment to save more money, avoid hassles like maintenance and storage, and show clients and investors that you’re prepared for any job that comes your way.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location