Construction Equipment Rental in Jacksonville, FL

About Construction Projects in Jacksonville, FL

The City of Jacksonville, Florida, wants all contractors, HVAC techs, and trade workers to follow a list of rules when working on construction projects. You need certain documents for all types of jobs, whether large or small. Make sure you know at what point of the project you’ll need permits, inspections, insurance, and licenses.

Building Permits

Before you start your construction project in Jacksonville, you need a building permit. The permit makes sure you and the project meet certain rules set by the City. You don’t need a permit to stop leaks, install a patio, or replace a piece of equipment. But you need one for almost any improvement project.

The City of Jacksonville makes you get a permit for the following:

  • Additions
  • Demolitions
  • Alterations
  • Installations or repairs to HVAC units
  • Adding swimming pools
  • New construction

To get a permit, you must give two sets of plans, drawings, and specs. Submit these papers along with the application to the Building Inspection Division. The fire marshal reviews all papers. Expect most permits within five business days.

The cost of permits depends on the type of work done and the size of the project. The permits are valid for 180 days. You must display your permit and notice of commencement at your jobsite.

Building Inspections

Before you end a project in Jacksonville, you need an inspection. Inspectors work from 7:00 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. You can ask for an inspection through the Building Inspections website or by phone.

Inspectors look at parts of the project such as:

  • Drywall
  • Framing
  • Foundation
  • Plumbing
  • HVAC
  • Ductwork
  • Cabling

After approval, the inspector issues a Certificate of Occupancy. Only then can the owner occupy the building.

Contractor Licenses

The City of Jacksonville wants to make sure only licensed contractors can work on projects in the city limits. As a result, all contractors must have licenses. Only certified contractors can do plumbing, electrical, and HVAC work. Home improvement contractors must have a state-issued license.

If you hire an unlicensed contractor, you may receive a cease and desist order. The City can also take you to circuit court. You are responsible for the work of an unlicensed contractor.

Construction Liability Coverage

As with licenses, contractors need insurance coverage to work in Florida. Every licensed contractor in the state must carry general liability, workers’ compensation, and employer’s liability insurance. Most contractors carry $2 million in liability coverage. But the lowest amount of coverage for general contractors is $300,000 bodily injury and $50,000 property damage.

To check contractor’s coverage, each insurance certificate must have:

  • Date insurance began and expiration date
  • Name of insurance company and agent
  • Name of insured
  • Policy number
  • Aggregate insurance amount

Construction Equipment Rental in Jacksonville, Florida

Contractors might need to rent equipment for certain projects. You can rent aerial gear such as:

If you’re based in Jacksonville, never start a construction project without having the proper papers. This includes permits, insurance, inspections, and licenses.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location