Construction Equipment Rental in Miami Gardens, FL

About Construction Projects in Miami Gardens, FL

The City of Miami Gardens is committed to growth. Through business stimulus grants and employment programs, city officials are working to make Miami Gardens the best it can be. Builders like you have an important role to play during this time of growth.

Building Permits

You should apply for a building permit through the City of Miami Gardens Building Services Division. Download an application form from the City of Miami Gardens website. There’s just one form for three permit types:

  • Residential.
  • Commercial.
  • Multi-Family.

Submit your permit in person or by mail. You can only start work after you get your permit and permit card. Keep your permit, permit card, and plans on site throughout your project.

Necessary Building Licenses

Most Miami Gardens builders have two licenses: one from Miami-Dade County and one from the state of Florida.

The Construction Trades Qualifying Board issues Miami-Dade County builder’s licenses.

To get your builder’s license, you must:

  • Submit an application form. It’s available from the county office.
  • Show you have at least four years of building experience. You should have worked as a supervisor for at least one of these years.
  • Score at least 70 percent in an open book exam.

The Florida Construction Industry Licensing Board issues state building licenses. This body is part of the state’s Department of Business & Professional Regulation (DBPR).

You can apply for your state license on the DBPR website. You must show:

  • Your Miami-Dade County contractor’s license.
  • Financial records.
  • Evidence of at least four years of experience working in your license category. At least one year should be in a supervisory role. You can substitute up to three years of college credit hours or military service for experience on the job.

Finally, you should pass Florida’s contractors exam. The exam tests your knowledge of:

  • Project management.
  • Contract administration.
  • Business and finance knowledge.

You must complete mandatory education each year to renew your county and state building licenses.

Liability Coverage

You need general liability insurance to work in Miami-Dade County. Your policy should list Miami-Dade County Risk Management as the certificate holder and additional insured. Builders employing others need proof of worker’s compensation insurance to get their permit or license.

While not legally required, many builders also get the following policies for extra coverage:

  • Builders risk.
  • Commercial auto.
  • Equipment.

Best Equipment to Use

The city has a mix of rocky and marl soils. Both of these limestone-rich soils can be difficult to work with. Standard manlifts and scissor lifts can’t handle rocky soils. You should rent rough terrain models instead. You might also need a ripper to tear up soil that has a lot of hard limestones.

Marl soils are often muddy, especially after rain. A boom lift with a four-wheel drive train or crawler undercarriage can handle the slick ground. Having a raised working platform also helps. Forklifts don’t work well on slippery sites. Consider using different lifts if you have marl soil.

With the right paperwork and equipment in place, you can be a part of Miami Gardens’ growth.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location