Construction Equipment Rental in Joliet, IL

About Construction Projects in Joliet, IL

Every city across the country has rules and regulations for building projects. Joliet, Illinois, is one such city.

No matter what size construction project you work on in Joliet, you need proper paperwork. This includes permits, inspections, licenses, and insurance. Read on to learn when you need these documents and how to get them.

Building Permits

The City of Joliet has standards for construction projects done within the city limits. These rules keep the property and people safe. They also make sure the property sticks to codes set forth by the city.

Before you start a project in the city, you need to get a building permit. You need one for alterations, demolitions, and new construction. You also need one for a variety of additions including:

  • Decks
  • Fences
  • Garages
  • Pools
  • Patios
  • Sheds

The Building and Inspectional Services Division issues permits. You must list all subcontractors on your application.

Look through the list of permits and figure out which ones you need. Permit costs depend on the type and size of the project. If the city catches you without a permit, the basic permit fee doubles.

Building Inspections

Before ending your construction project, you need an inspection. Depending on the type of project, you might need other inspections. This includes poured foundation walls, completed walls, and installed insulation.

Call the same office where you picked up the permit for an inspection. The office requires 24-hour notice. All inspections occur the next day. If your project fails, a follow-up inspection costs $75. Once your project passes, you get a Certificate of Occupancy.

Contractor Licenses

The City of Joliet wants only trained contractors to work on building projects in the city. That’s why only licensed contractors can work in city limits. However, Illinois does not make contractors have licenses. Only roofing contractors need a state license.

For Joliet, general contractor licenses cost $150. General contractor with trade licenses cost $250. Subcontractor licenses cost $75 per trade. All contractors must renew their licenses each year.

These types of contractors need current licenses for work in the city:

  • Plumbing
  • HVAC
  • Electrical
  • Roofing

If you don’t have a current contractor’s license, do not start a construction project.

Contractor Liability Coverage

In addition to licenses, contractors must have insurance coverage or bonds to work in Joliet. These policies cover the contractor and property in case of an accident.

Insurance costs can get high. Contractors need $250,000 liability along with workers’ compensation coverage. Will County, which houses Joliet, asks for $10,000 bond from contractors. Also, Joliet asks for bond coverage to include the following:

  • Concrete Contractors: $10,000 bond if working in public right-of-way
  • Demolition Contractors: $50,000 wrecking bond

Construction Rental Equipment in Joliet, Illinois

Contractors need the right type of equipment for every job. To reach higher spots, rent aerial equipment such as:

If you plan a construction project in Joliet, make sure you know what papers you need beforehand. Getting the permits, insurance, licenses, and inspections in order can save you time and money. Hire an expert company to take care of the paperwork and construction so you can get the most out of your project.

Also make sure to plan for adverse weather on projects, especially in winter; nobody wants their project to be postponed due to the snow or low temperatures.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location