Construction Equipment Rental in Rockford, IL

About Construction Projects in Rockford, IL

As a part of the third biggest economic area in the US, Rockford has a lot going for it. Located near I-90 and Chicago, this city is seeing plenty of growth. To become part of this boom, make sure you understand the City of Rockford’s permitting rules and laws.

Building Permits

You’ll need a building permit for all projects in Rockford. The City follows the ICC International Existing Building Code of 2015. This means that all construction is reviewed by City officials.

The Construction and Development Services Department can help you with this. It is in charge of reviewing and approving all permits. You’ll need its approval before you can start. When you submit your information, you’ll need:

  • The plan review fee
  • A completed building permit application
  • Three copies of a landscape plan
  • Two copies of a site illumination plan
  • Two full sets of documents from all the trades involved in construction
  • 1 set of sealed civil documents, including site plumbing drawings
  • 1 set of sealed structural calculations
  • One copy of final recorded plat
  • Zoning application
  • Title block on each page with design professional’s information

You’ll need a design professional or civil engineer to help with your plans. They must be licensed with the State of Illinois. This ensures safety during construction.

The Rockford Building Department gives your plans to other city departments. Once they all review the plans, you’ll get your permit. For more information, call the Building Department at 779-348-7158.

Necessary Building Licenses

The State of Illinois doesn’t require general contractors to have a license. However, the City of Rockford does require some contractors to get licenses. If you are demolishing buildings as part of a job, you’ll need a license.

You’ll need to give your:

  • Name, address, and other personal info
  • Equipment you’ll use during demolition
  • Insurance info
  • Experience

A notary must also review the application.

Other specialty contractor licenses include electrical and mechanical contractors. To be a mechanical contractor, you also need to take an examination.

Liability Coverage

To work as a contractor, you’ll need liability coverage. This protects you and your customers from property damage. If there is an accident, they’ll get compensation.

For demolition contractors, the minimum amount of comprehensive liability insurance is $1,000,000. General contractors don’t need to have this much. However, they should have at least $500,000 in coverage.

You may also need workers’ compensation insurance if you have other employees. This protects them if they get injured on the job.

Best Equipment to Use

Rockford is a level city. Therefore, you won’t need to do much leveling or digging when starting a project. However, you will still need aerial equipment to help reach up high. This equipment is a great alternative to scaffolding. It’s great for smaller projects where building scaffolding takes longer than the actual job itself.

In particular, look into renting boom lifts, scissor lifts, forklifts, and manlifts to help the job go faster.

By learning more about Rockford regulations, you should have no problem working as a contractor in the city.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location