Construction Equipment Rental in Topeka, KS

About Construction Projects in Topeka, KS

Topeka is the capital of Kansas and is located in the northeastern part of the state. The name comes from Kansa-Osage language and roughly translates to “a good place to dig potatoes.”

If you’re planning a construction job in Topeka, here’s what you need to know about permits, inspections, licensing, and more.

Building Permits

For all building permits, you can find application forms to fill out on the website. There is one application to fill out for commercial building permits and another for residential building permits, along with other applications for driveways, elevators, fences, parking lots, and demolition.

Building Inspections

You can schedule all building inspections within the city limits of Topeka through the Development Services Department. The department is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. You can go into the office or call them on the phone to schedule an inspection for the next day. You can also fax in the request. You must send the fax by 4 p.m. if you want an inspection the next day.

Contractor Licenses

To qualify to work as a general contractor in Topeka, you must pass an ICC examination. The exam that you take depends on which type of license you’re applying for. There are three types of general contractors:

  • Class A: general building contractor, unlimited stories
  • Class B: general building contractor, up to three stories
  • Class C: residential building contractor

To schedule the exam, you can call Pearson Vue or go onto their website to register. There are exam ID numbers on Topeka’s General Contractor License Application for each class above, so you can register for the correct test. You need to get a 75 percent or above to pass the test.

If you have completed coursework, you can use that coursework in place of taking the test. You need 30 hours of coursework and an official transcript showing the classes you took and your grades. You can also use the results of a similar test from other providers, including Prometric, Exterior, and NAI-Block, to name a few.

You need to renew your license each year by December 14, and each year you’ll need to have eight hours of continuing education classes.

Contractor Liability Coverage

You are required to have liability insurance to work in Topeka as a contractor. In addition, according to the Workers Compensation Act passed by Kansas state lawmakers, you must have workers’ compensation insurance if you employ others. If you meet one of the exceptions that qualify you not to need workers’ compensation insurance, you must fill out and submit an affidavit.

Construction Equipment Rental in Topeka, Kansas

As you plan your construction job, consider what equipment you’ll need for it to be successful. If you need equipment you don’t currently own, renting is a great way to fill your need. For example, you could rent aerial equipment like forklifts, scissor lifts, boom lifts, or manlifts and have them delivered right to the job site.

You’ll need all the correct licenses, permits, and insurance in place before you start a construction job in Topeka.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location