Construction Equipment Rental in Wichita, KS

About Construction Projects in Wichita, KS

Before doing any construction work in Wichita, Kansas, you must follow all rules. Whether working at Intrust Bank Arena, Wichita State University or on a residential project, contractors have to hold licenses to work anywhere in the city. They also need to get permits to do new construction work or big renovations. Most property owners in Wichita don’t know how complicated it is to do construction work. It’s best to leave it to a licensed contractor.

Building Permits

The rules for getting building permits in Wichita apply to all of Sedgwick County. You need to bring these items when applying for a permit:

  • Legal description of the property
  • Tax key number of the property
  • Copy of the deed to the property

You might need other items in certain situations. If the property can’t use public sewer service, you need a septic permit. For properties in flood plains, you will need to follow extra rules and get an additional permit. When any part of a structure is over 200 feet from a public or private road, you will need approval from the Sedgwick County Fire Department.

The fee to get a permit depends on the size of the structure. Finished areas where people will live cost $0.38 per square foot. Unfinished areas that aren’t used for living areas cost $0.30 per square foot. If you don’t begin work on the site within 180 days, the permit expires. Contractors need permits to:

  • Install manufactured homes
  • Build new buildings
  • Demolish buildings
  • Do major renovations
  • Replace a furnace or water heater

Building Inspections

Before you get a permit, you need an inspection on the building. Inspectors work for the Metropolitan Area Building and Construction Department (MABCD) of the county. You can schedule an inspection by calling 316-660-1840. Most new construction projects require inspections. Small renovations and installation projects might not need inspections.

Contractor Licenses

Contractors working in Wichita must hold current trade licenses given by Sedgwick County. These licenses last for two years. They must be renewed on even years. They are split into several categories:

  • Electrical
  • Mechanical
  • Plumbing
  • General

Trade contractors can get licenses to work on residential or commercial buildings. Other licenses are for siding, roofing, swimming pools, wrecking, and fire systems The cost to get a trade contractor license for two years is between $100 and $1,000.

Contractor Liability Coverage

A general contractor needs a Class A license to work in Wichita. In order to get the license, you will need to show proof of insurance coverage. The minimum for a general contractor is $1,000,000 per occurrence and finished product. Before you can get a license to work in Wichita, you have to show proof of the insurance coverage. It has to be issued by a commercial carrier.

Construction Rental Equipment in Wichita, Kansas

If you need construction equipment to handle the work, rental options can help you save money. Some of the most critical aerial equipment pieces include scissor lifts, boom lifts, manlifts, and forklifts. Rental options in the Wichita area can also help contractors take on more work.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location