Construction Equipment Rental in Baton Rouge, LA

About Construction Projects in Baton Rouge, LA

Do you know which permits you’ll need for a job in Baton Rouge? Read on to learn about permits, inspections, licenses, and insurance.

Building Permits

You’ll need permits in Baton Rouge to change an existing building or structure or for new construction. Some examples of construction that need permits include the following:

  • Building a structure that is larger than 120 square feet
  • Adding more than 100 square feet of roofing or decking
  • Building a solid fence that is 3 feet or higher
  • Replacing a water heater
  • Working on electrical or gas lines
  • Replacing windows or doors
  • Installing a generator or solar panels

You can apply for permits on the My Government Online website. Start by creating an account. Once you log in, you can request a new permit through the online portal. You can also keep track of the permit’s status through this portal.

Building Inspections

Once your licensed professionals finish the job, you’ll need to schedule an inspection. Inspections check to see that the job meets all the current building codes. Here’s how to schedule a building inspection:

  1. Go to My Government Online.
  2. Find your “My Permits” list.
  3. Click on the “Request” button to the right of the permit.
  4. Pick a date and enter in other information on the next screen.
  5. Click “Submit Request(s) to Jurisdiction.”

Once the inspector has completed the inspection and submitted his or her report, you can read the Inspection Report online as well.

Contractor Licenses

To work in Louisiana, general contractors need a residential building contractor license, a commercial building contractor license, or both, and all licenses must have been issued by the Louisiana State Licensing Board. Subcontractors need to be licensed for commercial work if the labor and materials total one of the following:

  • $50,000 or more for major and specialty classifications.
  • $10,000 or more for electrical, plumbing, or mechanical.
  • $1 or more for hazardous.

For residential work, subcontractors have to be licensed for projects that cost $7,500 or more for labor and materials.

Contractor General Liability Coverage

The Louisiana State Licensing Board requires that applicants provide proof insurance coverage before the board issues a contractor’s license. Contractors must maintain this coverage while their license is active. The board requires two types of insurance: general liability of $100,000 and workers’ compensation insurance.

Renting Construction Equipment in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Once you have secured all the necessary permits and are ready to begin work, you need the right equipment. If not, you can rent whatever you need and have it delivered to the work site. Whether you’re looking for aerial equipment like manlifts, forklifts, scissor lifts, or boom lifts, or you need something even bigger, you’ll find that renting is a convenient way to get exactly the right equipment without having to buy.

With the necessary permits in hand and the right equipment on the job site, you’ll be ready to start work, setting you up for a successful job.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location