Construction Equipment Rental in New Orleans, LA

About Construction Projects in New Orleans, LA

New Orleans, Louisiana is constantly changing, and there’s new construction almost every day. There are many new mixed-use communities, and the National WWII Museum will build a $370 million expansion. There’s also a Sazerac Company Beverage Museum, a Louisiana Children’s Museum, and more. If you want your company to take advantage of all this growth, you’ll need all the correct licenses, insurance, permits, inspections, and equipment.


In Louisiana, you must have a license for public or commercial projects that cost more than $50,000 and single-family homes more than $75,000. If the project has more than two homes or more than one residential duplex, triplex, or fourplex, you’ll need a license no matter what the cost is. Here are some of the most common licenses:

  • Commercial contractor
  • Residential contractor
  • HVAC
  • Plumbing
  • Concrete
  • Heavy construction, like dams, foundations, railroads, and docks
  • Commercial and industrial insulation
  • Commercial and industrial painting and coating
  • Roofing, siding, and sheet metal
  • Mold remediation

You’ll need to take a Louisiana business and law exam and an exam for the license you want. Getting a new license takes about four weeks. Licenses expire on December 31st, and holders have until the second Tuesday of January to renew. You must have four hours of continuing education, and you can choose a one, two, or three-year term. For any business, you’ll need a general license from the city.


In New Orleans and the rest of Louisiana, mold remediation contractors must have a net worth of at least $10,000. Residential contractors need $100,000 in general liability insurance, and commercial contractors need $1,000,000 per occurrence for a minimum of $2,000,000. Everyone should have $500,000 of workers’ compensation per employee or $1,000,000 if people work near water. Auto liability insurance must cover at least $1,000,000 per occurrence.


You’ll need a permit for building all new structures, renovations or additions, pools, demolition, electrical or mechanical work, or working on a driveway or curb. You must also have a permit for blocking a parking meter, changing the use of a building, or any work in the French Quarter and other historic districts. You can apply online with the city’s One Stop Shop app or call  504-658-7100. The Permits & Licenses office is open Monday through Thursday from 8 am to 5 pm and on Friday from 8 am to 3:30 pm.


In Louisiana, only a final inspection is required. However, you may need another inspection from the French Quarter’s Vieux Carré Commission or another historic district, depending on your location.


Before you start on your project, make sure you have all the right equipment. Forklifts are perfect for carrying a variety of heavy materials around a site. Scissor lifts, manlifts, and boom lifts can help your workers reach high windows, walls, ceilings, or roofs. Rent your equipment instead of buying to save money and finish the job without having to deal with maintenance or storage for these huge machines.

When your business has all the licenses, insurance, permits, inspections, and equipment it needs, you can avoid delays and expensive fines. You can also show investors and clients that you can be ready for any job.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location