Construction Equipment Rental in Cambridge, MA

About Construction Projects in Cambridge, MA

Do you think about construction projects in Cambridge? Before you start your large or small project, get your papers together. Find out the specific type of paperwork you need. You must have these if you’re a general contractor, plumber, or electrician.

Building Permits

Like most cities, the City of Cambridge has rules for construction. These rules make sure projects done in Cambridge fit safety standards. Most projects need a permit. For an extra fee, you can get a permit online. You can also contact the Inspectional Services Department (ISD) by phone. The ISD may also contact the Traffic, Parking, and Transportation Department (TP&T). The TP&T may visit your work area.

Start by choosing the right type of permit. Once you get the permit, you have six months to start your project. The city has strict construction hours that you must follow. You cannot do any work on Sundays.

Massachusetts homeowners can get their building permits. With this option, they are responsible for the contractors working on their property. The ISD suggests that licensed contractors get the permit in his or her name. Homeowners shouldn’t get a permit in their name.

Building Inspections

Before you finish your construction project, you need a building inspection. The inspection makes sure you followed codes set by the City of Cambridge. For new construction and repairs, the fee depends on the construction cost. The fees are at least $50.

Building inspectors visit the site as many times as needed. Their visits depend upon the type of work performed. For electrical and plumbing projects, you should have a rough and last inspection. The building inspector cannot sign off on the inspection until the electrical and plumbing inspectors approve.

Contractor Licenses

The state of Massachusetts doesn’t have a general contractor license. You can get an unrestricted construction supervisor license. This is the most common choice. You can also get the restricted one- and two-family construction supervisor license. Specialty licenses in the state include:

  • Masonry
  • Roofing
  • Window and siding
  • Insulation
  • Fuel-burning appliance

Don’t try to start your construction project if you don’t have a current license. New licenses are good for three years and cost $150. To renew your license, you pay $100 for two years.

Contractor Liability Coverage

In addition to licenses, the City of Cambridge also needs contractors to have liability coverage or bonds. These policies cover the property and contractor if there is an accident.

Check with your insurance provider to compare rates. Depending upon the construction project, you might need insurance in certain areas. Some areas include electrical, plumbing, and roofing.

Construction Equipment Rental in Cambridge, Massachusetts

Contractors need the correct gear, no matter what type of job. For aerial jobs, rent specific equipment to help you get the job done:

If you’re a contractor in Cambridge, make sure you have the correct permits, inspections, licenses, and insurance. That way, you can focus on your project instead of worrying about paperwork.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location