Construction Equipment Rental in Saint Paul, MN

About Construction Projects in Saint Paul, MN

St. Paul has sustained robust growth recently. Along with its twin city Minneapolis, St. Paul accounts for a quarter of Minnesota’s recent population growth. As more people move to St. Paul, the city must improve its infrastructure. Builders familiar with the city’s requirements can capitalize on St. Paul’s construction boom.

Building Permits

You need a building permit to build, add to, or remodel any property in St. Paul.

Commercial, industrial, and institutional projects need early reviews before you can submit a permit application. Contact the Zoning Department for a Site Plan Review. Then call the Plan Review team for a preliminary building plan review. These meetings aren’t needed for residential projects.

Download the permit form from the City of St. Paul website. Attach two complete sets of plans to all permits for new construction and multi-family residential or commercial additions. These plans should have stamped approval from the Public Works Addresses and Sewer offices.

You can fax your application if you’re paying by credit card. If paying by check, mail your application and a check payable to the City of St. Paul. Fees vary depending on your project’s value.

Necessary Building Licenses

Most residential building contractors need a license from the Construction Codes and Licensing Division (CCLD). This is part of Minnesota’s Department of Labor and Industry (DLI).

First, pass the licensing exam with a grade of 70% or more. Then complete 14 hours of CCLD-approved education. You must complete these classes every two years to renew your license.

Then you can submit your application online or by mail. This should include:

  • All signed application forms.
  • A current Secretary of State filing, if needed.
  • A current liability insurance certificate.
  • Your license fee.

Commercial builders and residential builders without licenses should join the Construction Contractor Registration Program. Register for free at the DLI website.

Liability Coverage

You need general liability insurance to get your building license in Minnesota. If you employ other builders, you’ll also need workers’ compensation. Other types of insurance policies are recommended.

For example, umbrella insurance increases your coverage amount. This is useful for builders with expensive tools, materials, and projects. You could also get commercial auto insurance to protect your work vehicle.

Best Equipment to Use

Glaciers covered St. Paul thousands of years ago. The deposits these ancient glaciers left behind impact local soil today. Material left by glaciers is called till. It varies from fine clay to stones and boulders. Since till varies, you should survey your site carefully.

Check whether your site has rocks. If so, you’ll need rough terrain manlifts and scissor lifts instead of standard models. You may need a ripper to make a rocky site workable. Forklifts don’t like slippery conditions, beware of clay soil after the rain. You’ll also need a working platform for your boom lift if the ground is muddy.

Do your research and make sure you have the right permits, licenses, insurance, and hire equipment in place. Being organized can help your building projects in St. Paul succeed.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location