Construction Equipment Rental in Jackson, MS

About Construction Projects in Jackson, MS

All cities have a list of rules and restrictions in place for construction jobs. Jackson, Mississippi, is no exception. From work in HVAC to telecom installation, you need to make sure you have the right documents. This includes permits, insurance, licenses, and inspections.

Building Permits

The City of Jackson has rules in place for construction. These standards make sure that all projects done in the city limits to keep people and property safe. They also protect the owner, contractor, and the city.

If you want to start a construction project in Jackson, you need a permit. The Building Permit Office gives permits. Fees depend on the amount of work and overall cost of the project. You must present a few items to get a permit:

  • City of Jackson’s contractor’s bond
  • Signed contract from owner and contractor
  • Copy of state contractor’s license
  • Copy of City of Jackson’s privilege license
  • Two complete sets of building plans

You need them if you plan to do the following to the property:

  • Construct
  • Demolish
  • Enlarge
  • Repair

You also need them to install a fence, satellite dish, or portable storage unit.

Building Inspections

Before you finish your building project in Jackson, you need an inspection. The inspections make sure all projects meet codes and rules. To schedule an inspection, contact the Building Permit Division after you finish the project.

Contractor Licenses

The state wants to make sure only trained contractors work on projects. That’s why commercial and residential contractors must have a license. You don’t need a license for residential electrical, plumbing, or HVAC work that costs less than $10,000. The Mississippi State Board gives licenses.

Fees depend on the type of license. A commercial license is $400 and $400 for renewal. A residential license is $50 and $100 for renewal. You can renew your license up to 180 days after it expires. If you let more than 180 days pass, you need a new application.

Residential holders can work on commercial projects, but only if the project is less than 7,500 feet. To get the license, you must fill out an application. The State Board of Contractors mails out testing information. You must pass an open-book exam and the Mississippi Law and Business Management exam. If you have a trade, you must take a trade exam. Once you pass, you will get your license in 7 to 10 days.

Contractor Liability Coverage

As with licenses, contractors must carry insurance. You must have general liability insurance coverage. Residential licenses holders have no minimum policy amount. Commercial holders must have a minimum coverage of $300,000.

Construction Equipment Rental in Jackson, Mississippi

Contractors need the right equipment for the job, no matter what type. You might need to rent gear for aerial jobs. These types of equipment include:

If you’re working in Jackson, don’t start a building project before getting the right papers. This includes permits, insurance, inspections, and licenses. Make sure you have the paperwork in hand so that you can focus on your project. This will save you time and money.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location