Construction Equipment Rental in Rochester, NY

About Construction Projects in Rochester, NY

No matter what city you work in, contractors must follow a set of rules when working on construction projects. Rochester, New York, is no different.

Before you start work on your project, you need to have certain documents. These papers include permits, insurance, inspections, and licenses. Knowing when and where to get these papers is vital, so keep reading to find out the answers.

Building Permits

The City of Rochester has strict rules for construction projects. These standards make sure that you follow codes and regulations set forth by the city and state.

Before you start a construction project, you need to get a building permit. You need a permit for almost any type of home improvement project.

You can get permits from the Permit Office found in City Hall. Fees depend on the project’s cost. Some projects have a flat fee. These projects include adding a deck, storage shed, or fence. Electrical and plumbing fees are separate. The office gives out most permits the same day you apply.

To get a permit, you must bring:

  • Survey map
  • Workers’ compensation certificate
  • Detailed plans
  • Permit fees

Property found in a Preservation District or listed as a Designated Building of Historic Value may need a Certificate of Appropriateness.

Building Inspections

During your construction project, you need several building inspections. These inspections make sure the property follows national, state, and municipal codes and regulations.

The Department of Neighborhood and Business Development handles inspections. After you pass the last inspection, you get a Certificate of Occupancy.

Contractor Licenses

To work in the City of Rochester on a project that costs more than $200, you need to have a home improvement contractor license. This makes sure that only trained professionals work on construction projects.

The NY Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) gives licenses. The exam has 30 questions, and you must get at least 21 correct. The exam costs $50. The license processing fee costs $75. These fees are separate from the license fee. License fees depend on what time of year you apply. You must renew your license every two years.

Contractor Liability Coverage

Insurance policies cover you and the property if there’s an accident on-site. Contractors who work in Rochester need liability coverage. Even though the state does not make it mandatory, the City of Rochester does.

Most New York small businesses carry policies between $500,000 and $1 million. You also you need workers’ compensation coverage. If you have a vehicle for your business, you need a commercial vehicle policy with at least $50,000 coverage.

Construction Equipment Rental in Rochester, New York

All contractors need the right equipment to work on their construction jobs. Sometimes you need to rent gear to reach high spots. Consider renting the following aerial equipment:

Never start your construction project without getting your documents in order. You need permits, insurance, inspections, and licenses to work in the City of Rochester. Knowing when and where to get these papers is important to keep your schedule on track. That way you’re not wasting time and money waiting for paperwork or paying fines simply because you forgot what you needed.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location