Construction Equipment Rental in College Station, TX

About Construction Projects in College Station, TX

College Station, Texas, is located in the center of the Texas Triangle formed by Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, and Austin. Often shortened to CStat, it’s the home of Texas A&M University. If you’re planning on doing some construction here, there are some things you need to know about building in College Station.

Building Permits

Before you can start work, you need building permits. You can apply for them on the city’s online system, eTRAKiT. In addition to needing permits for building, including adding on to an existing building or tearing one down, you need a permit for subcontractor work as well, such as electrical, plumbing, and mechanical. If you have any questions about what permits are required for your job, contact the Planning and Development Services Building Division of College Station.

Building Inspections

The city requires inspections at each phase of construction. For example, for new construction, the city requires 11 inspections from start to finish. You can schedule inspections through the online portal. You can also use this portal to cancel inspections and to view what inspections you have scheduled.

Contractor Licenses

To work as a contractor in College Station, you need to register as a contractor with the city. The contractor registration asks for what type of contractor you are and requires a $60 fee. You can find the application on the city’s website and then fax it in or bring it into the Planning and Development Services office.

The state of Texas does not require a license for general contractors. However, the state does require specialty contractors, such as plumbers, electricians, and HVAC technicians, to be licensed to work in Texas.

Contractor Liability Coverage

Contractors in Texas need to have contractors general liability insurance. Most often, you’ll need to show proof of this insurance before you can start a job. This type of insurance is separate from a business’s insurance and protects construction businesses in case of property damage or injury.

General contractors should make sure that their specialty contractors also have insurance in case of any mishaps with their work.

Construction Equipment Rental in College Station, Texas

When it comes to preparing for a new construction job, there’s more to prepare for than just bureaucracy and red tape. You also might need heavy equipment that you don’t currently own. If so, consider renting the equipment, especially if you will not likely need it in the future or you need a couple extra on hand.

Large equipment, like boom lifts, are available for rent and can be delivered to your job site. Rental options include scissor lifts, manlifts, trenchers, generators, and forklifts, just to name a few.

Getting the permits in place, along with licenses and insurance, is a great first step to preparing for construction projects in College Station. This preparation smooths things out, so the rest of the project can go off without a hitch.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location