Construction Equipment Rental in Irving, TX

About Construction Projects in Irving, TX

The Irving-Las Colinas Chamber of Commerce reports that in 2016, Irving pulled in over $800 million in construction revenue, the highest in 30 years. The City also issued over 600 new home permits. Clearly, construction is booming. If you’re planning to build in Irving, learn about the rules and processes involved.

Building Permits

You need a permit for almost all types of building projects from new buildings to making changes to existing buildings. This includes work done to:

  • Garages
  • Driveways
  • Pools, spas, and hot tubs
  • Decks higher than 30 inches
  • Fences
  • Fireplace installations
  • Sheds
  • Re-roofing

You don’t need a permit for small jobs like painting, carpeting, cabinetry, or to replace appliances or fixtures.

Electrical, plumbing, and HVAC work also require a permit. General contractors can take out a combination permit. A combination permit covers any subcontractors like plumbers and electricians.

Contact the City of Irving for the full list of fees. The fee for most residential permits is worked out per square foot. Flat fees apply for things like swimming pools, driveway approaches, fixing foundations, re-roofing, decks, and knocking down buildings.

Building Inspection

As work progresses, you will need to call a building official for an inspection. Inspections are free, but a reinspection will cost $75. Booking an inspection is easy. You can do this online through the City of Irving website. You can also book via email or by using the simple automated phone system.

Contractor Registration and Licensing

Register With the City of Irving

Only contractors registered with the City are allowed to build in Irving. This applies to all types of contractors. It also applies to irrigation, house-moving, and fuel tank installers. Remember to renew your registration every year.

Get Your State License

Roofing contractors and general contractors who only build houses don’t need a license in Texas. However, specialty contractors do require a license. These trades need a license to work in Texas:

  • Electricians
  • Plumbers
  • HVAC
  • Well drilling
  • Pump installation
  • Refrigeration
  • Fall Protection Installation
  • Fire sprinkler systems
  • Telecom Installation

The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation issues most of these licenses.

Insurance in Texas

In Texas, you are not required to have workers’ compensation or general liability insurance. However, it is best to have both to protect you, your workers, and clients if things go wrong.

Concrete contractors need a surety bond of $5,000. House-moving contractors need a bond of $2,000. Sign contractors need either an insurance policy for $300,000 or a $5,000 surety bond. The City of Irving requires this to issue and renew licenses.

Contractors who need a Texas state license will have to prove that they carry a contractor license bond.

Renting Building Equipment

Home renovations can mean digging up ground, moving structures, or working on roofs. For this, you’ll need some heavy machines like aerial and moving equipment. Contact an equipment rental company like BigRentz. They can provide you with forklifts, boom lifts, scissor lifts, and manlifts.

Around 240,000 people call Irving home. And judging by the construction numbers, it’s growing fast. Get all your contractor paperwork in order so that you’re ready to take on work that comes your way.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location