Construction Equipment Rental in Longview, TX

About Construction Projects in Longview, TX

Everything is bigger in Texas, including construction projects. Because of that, being a contractor in a city like Longview is a great career. However, before you can get started, you’ll have to learn about permits and licensing. Once you understand the process, you’ll be able to take on some projects and enjoy success doing what you love.

Building Permits

The City of Longview Building Inspection Department manages all permits in the city. If you’d like to apply for one, you’ll send your application to this office. There are several different kinds of permits you can apply for, depending on the project. Some of the most common ones include:

  • Commercial building permits
  • Electrical permits
  • Sign permits
  • Plumbing permits
  • Resident building permits
  • Fire sprinkler and alarm permits
  • Mechanical permits

All permits require you to fill out an application that describes the location of the project and the type of work being done. You’ll also need to confirm that soil conditions are appropriate and that the project will have a roof gutter system. For residential projects, you need to submit two sets of plans. For commercial projects, you need two sets of plans as well as a PDF copy of the plans. All plans must be at least 8 x 11 inches and no larger than 24 by 36 inches.

You might also need to have your plan and site reviewed before your permit is approved. This process means you need to submit two sets of drawings, one of which is in PDF format on a CD. You’ll need to show detailed specifications about what you’re doing and how it meets all of the city’s codes and ordinances.

Contractor Licensing

As you may have guessed, not everyone can work as a contractor in Longview. The city requires you to have a city contractor license in addition to a Texas contractor license (if applicable). The city contractor license comes in four different forms:

  • Commercial contractor license, which costs $50 a year
  • Residential contractor license, which costs $50 a year and requires a surety bond
  • Residential swimming pool contractor license, which costs $50 a year and requires a $15,000 surety bond
  • Combination builder license, which costs $100 a year and requires a $15,000 surety bond

All of these licenses require that you send an application to the Building Inspection office in Longview.

As for the Texas contractor license, this requires you to have contractor’s general liability insurance to protect against damages or injuries. While there’s no specific license for a general contractor, any specialty contractor will need to apply for a state license. This might include electricians, plumbers, mechanical engineers, or asbestos abatement workers.

Now that you know about permits and licenses consider the next step in becoming a contractor: equipment. To get the job done right, you’ll need the best tools. Some great equipment you might not own include boom lifts, scissor lifts, forklifts, and manlifts. By renting these aerial tools, you’ll get your work done faster and better. Before long, everyone in Longview will be calling you to help with their construction projects.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location